Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2008, 4:49 PM   #11

Four years ago, the 20D might have been a better camera than the 1000D is today. I suspect that is the reason the people at AVFORUMS told you to get the 20D. I remember fondly the Austin-Healey Sprite Mk IIII owned in '73, but I very much prefer the 3 point seatbelts, CD player, gas mileage and espeicially the reliability of my Honda Accord.

Generally speaking, the overwhelming consideration in the selection of any camera is the quality of the lens.

The kit lens for the 1000D is much better than the kit lens for the 20D.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:16 PM   #12

A quote from a member at AV Forums

"Although the 1000D is newer it is not thought to be better than the 400D which is in turn not better than the 30/40D

As such given that the 30D is called 20D mk II, youlll find it faster in use than the 100D. Better High ISO in low light and Better AF ( although paer spec ma suggest not by much

The build quality is also better

On the Cons side, it has a smaller screen , and is heavier . and older Digic processor but this doesnt seem to hold it back
The 20D was never an entry level model and although its been superseded X3 now , it still isnt"

Now i'm confusedeven more

zack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:40 PM   #13

Which would you prefer, a new Honda Civic or a4 year old Honda Accord?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:43 PM   #14

Another thing to consider, is if you're primarily shooting in auto, the extra control and speed the 20d offers is probably overkill. Also, I'm not sure how much post work you do, but based on the info you've given, I suspect it isn't much. The 20d will require more work to get the very best out of your images. The entry level DSLR's generally will give better straight out of camera images.

All in all, I'd be real hesitant in buying a used semi pro camera that is 4 years old.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:08 PM   #15

I agree with TCav and rjseeney. I would get the new one. You can get the EOS 20D (body only) here NEW for between $700 and $800 . It is built more sturdily than the new digital rebels. It does have a faster burst mode. However, you don't know how many pictures your used EOS 30D has taken. If I were a big sports photographer, I might go for the EOS 30D new. Otherwise, I would choose the 1000D or save a little more money and get the 40D.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:47 PM   #16

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Which would you prefer, a new Honda Civic or a4 year old Honda Accord?

well!! last month

Payed £25,000 for a 2005 Jaguar XKR Supercharger 4.0 V8 (400 BHP) :-)

for the same price you could get a new 2008 X-TYPE 2.2 litre Diesel S

Made the right choice....... 20D it is

zack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:56 PM   #17

Good luck with it!

And come back and post something!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:48 PM   #18

Just for the record, I am still happily shooting with my Canon 20D at the rate of approximately 1,000 images per month. It works for me. However, I will admit that I use a Pentax K200D right along side the 20D and it too is a dandy DSLR. It shows the improvements that have been made in the last 4 years.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:18 PM   #19

I too have the 20d and also the 40d i shoot weddings and it is always the 20d in my hands you will need a better lensif you get the kit lens that one is not so hot indoors for a great money saver try the prime50mm 1.8 to start out (also called the nifty fifty) for your indoor shots portraits and outdoorsas well $85 from amazon ships free its plastic and won't last forever but you'll get great pics most everyone has one in there bagalso bump up your exposure 2/3 and also your flash exposure 2/3 stopson that camera and jump right in on shooting in raw it's a snap and you'll never go backto jpeg learn how to use your custom white balance (i shoot through a Mr coffee filter) works great auto wb not so good set your camera to raw plus jpeg and you'll be able to compare soon you'll shoot in raw only forget about auto start out in p mode (works like auto but you have more control) and move on from thereon the iso i try not to go over 400 but pics are usable at 800 canon support is just great as well they will help you out with any problems you might have 1-800-828-4040 Mon thru fri-8am-12pm midnight Sat-10am-8pmgood luck and good choice don't forget to post some pics patrick
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote