Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2008, 1:11 PM   #1

I have been into photography for a few years now, and all the cameras I have owned have been for the most part simple point and shoots. When I take a picture I rarely fiddle around with settings. However, this year I was thinking about purchasing something a little higher level. I have always been interested in DSLRs, but their price and size detoured me. I really want a camera which will allow me to learn some of the more intricate settings of a camera (aperture, exposure, metering, F-number, etc.), but at the same time not require the mastery of these. Basically, I want a camera which will allow me to learn, and grow as my knowledge grows, but not blind me at first. I was looking in to the G10, which looks amazing. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a camera which will fulfill my current and future needs.
gb775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:16 PM   #2

The G10 is very good, but priced too high, in my opinion. An entry-level DSLR like the Canon Rebel XS (EOS 1000d) is better in every way and costs the same.

If you want a good but inexpensive camera with a full slate of manual exposure controls to let you learn photographic techniques, the Panasonic LZ8 and Canon A590is cost less than $150.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:22 PM   #3

well I definitely agree with the high price. I was just worried that if I was to get say a D40 or an XS that I would be getting the lowest end of SLRs, and also that I would be overwhelmed since SLRs are so different than point and shoots. Also, I know little about lenses and it seems to me that once you add a lens into the equation for an SLR, it becomes higher priced. Not to add in the size factor, since this is primarily for trips. But if an SLR is really that much better, I could definitely deal.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:23 PM   #4

Err, there is also the Canon SX110 IS. Manual controls on it are (in my view) more pleasant to use thanthoseon the Panasonic.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:33 PM   #5

yea, I looked at the SX110 IS, but it lacked a viewfinder, something which I did not have in my current camera, which made me realize how important it is.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:47 PM   #6

gb775 wrote:
Quote:
well I definitely agree with the high price. I was just worried that if I was to get say a D40 or an XS that I would be getting the lowest end of SLRs, and also that I would be overwhelmed since SLRs are so different than point and shoots. Also, I know little about lenses and it seems to me that once you add a lens into the equation for an SLR, it becomes higher priced. Not to add in the size factor, since this is primarily for trips. But if an SLR is really that much better, I could definitely deal.
The Canon Rebel XS is a very good camera in its own right. SLR's are different than auto point and shoots because they have manual exposure controls as an option (as some point and shoots do). However keep in mind that DSLR's also have an Auto mode that you can use until you're comfortable with the manual controls.

As far as cost is concerned, entry level DSLR's come with a kit lens. The kit lens of the XS is an image stabilized lens with a 3x optical zoom. It's not an outstanding lens but it isn't bad either. The XS camera/lens package can be purchased from a reputable online retailer for about $475.

As far as size goes, the Rebel XS is about the same size and weight of a large ultrazoom, like the Canon SX10is.

AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote