Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:25 AM   #1

Hi. I'm really sorry if my original post was confusing and vague.

I'm looking for an upgrade to the Canon PowerShot SD1000 7.1 mp

I need an easy to use (ie auto focus) digital camera with great zoom for outdoor soccer action shots.Ease of download to a mac or pc would be great too.

I'm looking in say the $500 area. Price is always an issue but if i need to spend an extra 100 or so to get a much better upgrade, I will.

Thanks again, i'm so confused and get more confused with each article i read.
ctoher@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2

There are lots of solutions for you. What's your budget?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3

See original post at top

Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:03 PM   #4

How about $3000 for the best possible shots?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:05 PM   #5

See original post at top
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:59 PM   #6

OK,

The only criteria you specified is shooting soccer.

There are 3 equally important parts to getting good sports shots. If you want good shots you need all 3:

1. Skill. Sports photography is NOT a point and shoot thing. Sounds like you want a point-and-shoot solution and one doesn't exist. I have professional grade gear - light years ahead of what a digicam can do - BUT without knowledge of how to shoot sports the gear still takes crummy pictures. I don't mean to say you can't get good photos with digicams but no matter the camera you're going to have to invest time and practice to learn how to shoot sports - proper metering, exposure compensation, positioning, focus techniques, timing, etc. No camera on the market can do it well when you leave everything up to the camera.

2. Right equipment. And here is where you have to decide how good is "good enough". If you were shooting night games I would say no digicam is "good enough". The question becomes - in good lighting, what level quality are you willing to accept? At a minimum you need the right focal length. If it's something like U6 you need a digicam with minimum 300mm equivelent lens. Full field soccer you'll need as much zoom as you can get - 450mm or more equivelent. So you would need a superzoom camera. Now, there are 2 important areas of sports photography that ALL digicams are bad at - focus tracking and frame rate. Tracking a subject moving toward you is one of the toughest things for a camera to do. Takes lots of processing power and speed- and it's just not cost efficient to include that functionality in a digicam. You'll get better results with a subject moving perpendicular to your position rather than toward you. Unfortunately it's the shots coming toward you that are often the most interesting.

3. Access. If it's full field soccer you'll get poor results shooting from the stands no matter what gear you're using. You'll get better results standing at the fence but depending on how far off the touch line the fence is, it can add a lot of distance to your subjects really limiting your shot selection. Obviously field access offers the best opportunity. But even then, a superzoom lens doesn't get you as close to the action as you may like - less than 50 yards total reach most likely.

As long as you're OK with all of the above I would look at the latest superzoom cameras (check out Steve's recommended list). Read the reviews for those cameras here and other sites. And look here and other forums (dpreview is a good one) for example photos of people using the camera for soccer. Sports shooting demands a lot of equipment so cameras that are stellar normally can fail at sports shooting. And, sports shooting isn't something typically covered in camera reviews - not even for DSLRs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:10 PM   #7

Thanks so much, both of you