Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:45 PM   #11

Sarah,

Here's Steve's comments regarding IQ of the XSI:

Quote:
The XSi's image quality is excellent, and has improved at high ISO settings over the former model. Images were consistently well exposed with natural color saturation and accurate white balance.
Here's what dpreview had to say:

Quote:
the default JPEG output is very punchy but it's a bit 'over cooked' for my taste (too bright and contrasty) and I found myself using RAW even more often than normal.
That's not the same as being very soft. I didn't find that anywhere. The reviewer did not specify why they chose not to reduce in camera processing instead of shooting RAW. And yet they gave the camera a 9.0 for image quality.

Cameralabs gave it a 9 out of 10 in image quality and made no mention of softness.

Luminous landscape review was based solely on raw shooting (which regarded IQ as excellent but doesn't impact one way or another what you've stated about soft jpeg shots).

digitalcamerareview had these comments:
Quote:
A quick look at the Canon's baseline image using default settings suggests that the new model is as competitive as ever, with good sharpness, excellent color reproduction, and the smooth, pleasing look that has become Canon's hallmark.
Quote:
Swapping the XSi's basic optics for higher-end glass also opened up the contrast considerably – another reason to think seriously about forgoing the kit lens in favor of something a little more suited to this body's capabilities.

In short, with the right processing tweaks and the right glass, there's little not to like about the Canon's image quality performance.
Imaging resource had this to say:

Quote:
It's the image quality that makes the Rebel XSi stand out, with great performance across the ISO range.
Quote:
Images are sharp, but not oversharpened, and noise suppression is kept well under control
Quote:
Print quality is excellent, making sharp 16x20-inch prints
Cnet had this to say:

Quote:
Though it'll run you a few bucks more than competitors such as the Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 or the Nikon D60, the Canon EOS Rebel XSi will deliver slightly better performance and noticeably better photo quality in return, making it a worthwhile trade-off.
In short Sarah, what reviews were you seeing where it was stated the results out of the camera were soft? Of all the reviews I looked at the only negative comment was at dpreview where the reviewer stated they don't like canon's processing (saturation, contrast, etc - feels they look too overprocessed) but even that isn't echoed in another review.

So - which reviews are you referring to?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:08 PM   #12

JohnG-

I am referring to the Canon XSi review at dcresource.com. Here is what it had to say: This is part 1

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:09 PM   #13

JohnG-

Here is Part #2 of the dcresource.com Canon XSi review.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:31 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for their advice and input. I went ahead and purchased a Canon XSI Kit that comes with the 18-55mm IS Lens from Cameta via Ebay so I could use the cashback deal.

Now of course I will still need azoom lens I will cross that bridge later.
SethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 6:56 AM   #15

Congradulations! I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

And come back and post something.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:16 AM   #16

Congratulations, Seth-

Enjoy your camera! Post some photos when you have a chance. The upcoming holidays will provide lots of good fun and happy memories. Now you record them in style.

Sarah Joyce