Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:23 PM   #1

Hi. I am a teacher looking for a remotely inexpensive (under $200) camera to use at school and at home (vacations). I need a quick shutter speed (small children), ease of use (I am technically inclined, but am an amateur when it comes to photography- will not be programming the resolution), would like scene options (black and white, sepia, panoramic, etc), would like 3x or 5x zoom (on vacations, we take landscape pictures often). I would like it to easily fit in my pocket (when I am at school, pictures are usually taken on the run- not always strategically set up). I am unsure of the lithium batteries and would like the option of having a regular battery or a wall charger, not just relying on a USB cable- although I am not dead-set against it if the battery is long-lasting or it gives warning long before wearing down (I need a low-fuel light!!) The camera I have now is a Fuji Finepix- it is at school right now so I do not know the exact model. I purchased it several years ago and need an update. I think it has 2MP or 3MP!! I dont know enough about cameras to know whether I need 10MP while I am purchasing or if 8MP would be just as good for several more years. The shutter speed is horrible on my current one. If I dont get the first picture just right (and that rarely happens with small children!!), they are distracted and on to something other than saying "cheese" by the time my camera is ready! I really just need a bit of direction and some advice on what I need and what to steer clear of. I (think!!) like th Kodak Easyshare M1033, but again am unsure of the battery. Is there a wall charger or another option if I dont have access to a computer? or does the battery last long enough that I shouldnt have to worry about it if at school or on vacation? Other cameras that I (May) like- again , not sure! are: Canon Powershot SD770IS and Sony Cybershot DSC-W150 but I have not seen these two physically and have not used them- have only seen them on this site. I have seen the Kodak. Any help is appreciated! Thank you ahead of time!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:52 PM   #2

Most of the cameras with 4X zoom that are quick are also over $200. The quick ones under $200 typically have a 3X zoom, and that includes the Canon SD770. By elimination that leaves the Sony, which is really not a bad choice. It does come with a wall recharger, the battery has to be removed from the camera for this. Very few cameras on the markettoday use the USB for recharging.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:58 PM   #3

The Canon A-590 is currently selling for around $(US)150.00. It offers 8mp and 4x optical zoom. It is simple to use and it has received excellent reviews. You might want to check it out.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:21 AM   #4

Thank you. I know my price range leaves me limited! I appreciate your help!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Thank you bothfor your help ! I will research both of these options!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 12:57 PM   #6

Lisa-

I found another camera for you that might be just the ticket. Take a look at the new Canon A-2000 which offers a lot for its price of $179.95 (at B&H).

It has a 3" LCD screen with a 230K density which is excellent. It is 10mp and it has 6X optical zoom. Best of all it is small and sleek so that it will fit in your purse easily.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:38 PM   #7

Awesome! I will check it out! Thank you so much!