Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2008, 1:29 AM   #1

Hi All,
Iam planning to buy a good digital camera with good video recording.

Primary camera requirements:

1)Should be compact(easily carriable in the shirt/trouser pocket)
2)Should be 8+ MP
3)Integrated flash
4)Video Recording resolution ABOVE 640x480 at min 30 FPS.
Note(Just coz the camera supports HD(720P) video recording should not mean the photos should be BAD - I dont want to compromise on the Photo quality either)
5)Should be able to zoom when recording video
6)Higher the optical zoom the better it is.
7)Good quality shots.
8 )Should be able to shoot 30 minutes of video continously (15 minutes Atleast).
9)Video quality and photo quality as good as possible in the dark.
10)Image stabilization stuff(I dont know much abt it).

Secondary requirement(Not Mandatory):

1)Should support higher capacity memory sticks. So that I dont have to carry too many sticks always.(atleast > 4gb, me have no idea how much cameras support)
2)Should support good video compression so I can store more video(like H.264).
3)Good Battery life.
4)Light weight
5)Should be able to connect to TV directly.
6)Have International warranty(I stay in India and getting it from US.)

Primary uses of this Camera:

Indoor, Parties, Functions, Home use etc. I would use it outside(Open environment only 30 percent of the time). I will also use it to take plenty of videos.

Price: Around 300 USD

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 (Black) is an example of how I prefer the camera to be. I dont know much about cameras, so I leave it to the experts to decide!

Iam also getting tempted to buy cameras like Panasonic Lumix FZ28, but staying away from it coz of its size

Note that I will not upgrade my camera for a long time. (3 years).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Regards,
Vinay.
vinay2070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:21 PM   #2

Experts please suggest, I need to decide on it within the next 2 days itself.:sad:
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:01 PM   #3

It would seem that the TZ5 meets most of your requirements...most.

This one is impossible:

9)Video quality and photo quality as good as possible in the dark.

Close your eyes and what do you see? That's what your camera is gong to see...and record. If you meant to say low light, it all depends on how low you mean. I don't believe this camera is very good in the low light arena. As a rule, cameras that don't do well in low light taking still pictures, do just as poorly (or worse) with video.

This one is possible (at least):

8 )Should be able to shoot 30 minutes of video continously (15 minutes Atleast).

The TZ5 can take up to 38 minutes of HD vid on a 4 GB card, but a max of 15 minutes continuously.

If you want to get a look at some stills taken at different ISO's, go here and select your camera:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

If you look at the still-life 800 ISO, it looks pretty ragged...and you'll probably need to use the higher ISO's if you use the big zoom, because the tele aperture range starts at f4.9, which isn't very fast.

Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful, but when folks start looking at small cameras, with small sensors and small lenses, they shouldn't expect all that much.

Good luck.
the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:17 PM   #4

i agree with rinnie but would like to add one thing, the TZ5 doesnt have the best audio quality so if your thinking about getting it just don't think about taking it to a concert or any place thats really loud because it sounds staticky.
squarenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 1:13 AM   #5

Thanks rinnie for the reply.

When i said "Video quality and photo quality as good as possible in the dark." I mean as good as possible compared to other cameras in the same compact camera range.

I know small cameras cant do big things like DSLRs, But all Iam looking for is the best on earth camera in the compact range which almost meets my requirements not necessarily be as good i have specified.

Also Iam not planning to use it in concerts, its just for some fun video recording like when i go out on trips or at home.

Since you guys look at cameras day and night and help others, you probably be knowing things a 100 times better than me

So if there is no camera that is better than the TZ5 in the compact range that does HD video and good zooming and good photos,

then shall i Finalize on TZ5K with a 16GB SDHC card and an extra battery?

Also do you know any website wheere I can order at the best price possible?

Thanks,
Vinay.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:56 PM   #6

i usually like ordering on amazon, its usually cheaper than any retail store and i think its free shipping if you order directly from them or my favorite store on amazon called "Willoughby's" (I think thats how you spell it. and definitely get an extra battery. its a must have of any camera.
squarenerd is offline   Reply With Quote