Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2008, 6:26 PM   #1

My wife sells quite a bit of stuff on ebay. Things like handbags, coats, other clothing. My minolta A2 did a nice job with sharp close up pics. Unfortunately it crapped out.

Fortunately, I had a service contract, but sony says it is unrepairable and has offered me $289 instead.

So, basically, that's what I am looking to spend. I bought the A2 for it's very good viewfinder which gave it near DSLR manual focusing abilities. I have considered taking my chances with another A2, but, am kind of leary, considering how the first one turned out.

I guess an entry level DSLR would be a good pic, but, they are still a bit pricey, especially when you get into multiple lenses.

I kind of like the fuji S700. Would that be a good choice? In addition to close ups of ebay items, I would like something that does well taking pics of the kids and scenery.

I guess I just want a good all around camera. 10X optical zoom or something close, would be nice as well.

pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:20 PM   #2

Pete-

Well, because e-bay needs nothing more than 480 X 640 pixel photos, the choice is wide open to you. You might want to put that $289.00 redit toward a new Sony H-50, but to be honest, a Canon A-1000, or and A-2000, would do the job nicely.

So it is back to you, partner, how far up the camera food chain do you want to move? You can solve your problem for less than $(US) 200.00 or go for something better. Please tell us what kind of photos that you like to take and the kind/category of camera that will work for you. Here is a photo of Canon's latest, the A-2000.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:34 PM   #3

thanks for the reply sarah.

That canon would probably work well. I would like a little more optical zoom though. My wife would like compact size which that canon appears to supply

Don't suppose there's anything out there that would take the A2's lithium battery? I have 2 very nice ones that are currently worthless to me. Maybe I can unload them on ebay?

Back when I was looking around and ended up going with the minolta, you were recommending a different canon, I think it was the sx100 or something like that. Of course, that was over 6 months ago which is eons, it seems in the digicam world.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 8:10 PM   #4

Pete-

Because Konica-Minolta has become a thing of the past, there are no cameras that use those batteries, I am sorry to say. Yes, canon does feature the SX110, a replacement to the SX-100 a 10X optical zoom, point and shoot camera. And they also feature the SX-10, a sort of replacement to the Canon S-5.

There is also the Panasonic FZ-28 and the Sony H-50 with tons of zoom that are also on the market. Beyong that you will find the consumer level DSLR cameras. So it is sort of a "take your pick" kind of situation. Here is an example of what the Sony H-50 can do in an existing light/no flash situation

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:12 PM   #5

have you checked out the casio exilims? they have a specific mode just for Ebay. and i think, i forgot, that the casio exilim ex-v8 has 10x optical zoom, or maybe 5x, my memory is kind of bad for a teenager :[
squarenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:40 PM   #6

If there is anything more silly looking than an old dude with a perm, I am not aware of it.

Sorry for the momentary thread hijack, but, it just needed to be said.

Thanks for the responses.

Probably gonna keep looking around for now. We have been using my daughter's cheapo samsung s500. It does an OK job if there is a lot of light.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:59 PM   #7

Pete-

The Panasonic FZ-28 (please see attached sample photo) now selling at 239.00 (B&H Photo) could really do the job you desire with a lot of great photo quality.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:47 AM   #8

Let me just through this out as a suggestion. If all you care about is eBay go and buy yourself a cheap light kit at someplace like B&H, Adorama or MPEX. You should be able to get 2 tungsten lights with reflectors and stands for $125. Spend the rest on a camera. Your 640X480 eBay photos will no doubt look better than those you would take with a $1,000 camera without the lights
dataBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:16 PM   #9

Concur with the above. It's all about lighting.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote