Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2008, 7:48 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy a compact digital camera as a Christmas gift this year, but I'm not sure which. I had a look at the Canon PowerShot A2000 IS and it seems pretty good from the reviews I've read, but I've seen some sample photographs that aren't as great as I'd like them to be. I have a $200 budget. Unless somebody can recommend something better, I'll probably go with the A2000 IS. If you know of something really worth the extra cash, I may be able to stretch my bidget a bit. Thanks for reading.
okendoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:09 PM   #2

ok-

You might look for a Canon A-590. It is a better camera with a bit less zoom, and it has been selling for around $(US) 150.00.

Another option would be to go to http://www.adorama.com, a very reputable photo retailer. On Monday this week, they had had refurbished (refurbishing by Canon)Canon A-720's at $(US) 150.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:23 PM   #3

Sorry if I'm being a bother, but could you explain why the Canon PowerShot A590 IS is a bettercamera?

Also, can you tell me what you think of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:33 PM   #4

My brother uses the cannon A590. He uses it to take pictures of buildings and factories and equipment that he puts values on for a large accounting firm. He got it a few months back I believe to replace another cannon A series camera he had before that got damaged on a plne flight when his luggage took a hard fall. He seems to like the camera.

Also FYI Mt Climber (Sarah Joyce) knows her cameras and he advice is spot on. She helped me find a weatherproof camera that I love.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:49 PM   #5

Thanks, Dave. I'd like to know what about the A590 makes it a better camera, though it less zoom and mp. It'll teach me what else I should be looking for in a camera besides those things.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:22 PM   #6

OK-

Well, the Canon A-590 has full manual and automatic controls. When you keep piling more mp on the same size imager, you end up withtwo problems called (a) pixel density and (b) pixel photo site size.

Problem (a) pixel density: As pixels get physically closer and closer together, electronic noise is created. Therefore, as you increase the ISO setting numerically, the photo will take on a "grainy" appearance. It occurs at ISO 400 and above.

Problem 9b) pixel photosite size: When you cram on more and more pixels on the same imager, many times the size of the pixel (the photosite that records your photo within your camera) will have to be reduced in physical size to get the pixel count up to a higher count. Smaller pixels take in less light and that will affect the quality (clarity) of your photo.

Therefore, in most cases, an 8 mp camera can take a better (greater clarity)photo than a 10mp camera.

That is probably more technical than you wanted to go, but you ask the question, so I supplied an answer.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:36 PM   #7

Alright, so 8mp is better than 10mp. I understand.
I'd still like to know what you think about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5.

And if the A590 is the best compact you can recommend, I guess I'll go ahead and buy that one.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:28 AM   #8

OK-

The Panasonic TZ-5 is a good camera if you want a mostly automated camera. If video clips are not important, then consider the TZ-4, you can save some money.

The A-590 is a hard camera to beat. The other competitors are the Sony W-150 and W-170 that are a bit higher in price, but somewhat smaller in size.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:02 PM   #9

OK-

Several othergreat cameras to take a look at is the Panasonic FS-5 (around $(US) 170.00)and the FX-37 ( it has a much larger and better 10mp imager) at around $(US) 250.00). Both do an excellent job, although, oneis a tiny bit more expensive, but worth it!

They are worth your consideration.

Sarah Joyce