Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:00 PM   #1

We need a new camera, but I want a "nice" one and my wife wants a "little uncomplicated" one that she can carry with her a lot.

Right now, we have an older Olympus C3030 Zoom. That was bought when 3.0mp was the next big deal.

I am still 100% satisfied with the pics that camera takes. But the SM cards have been finnicky lately. In trying to replace them, I realized we might as well get a new camera.

I give you that background so you know that almost any camera I buy today will be "better", yet we still love the current one. Just can't write to the card more than 14 pics.

My wife fell in love with a slim, pink Olympus with 10mp. It was at a "camera shop" in the heart Times Square NY, so we passed. Besides, since this will be HER camera, I know that is overkill for what she will use it for. I want to save some money on hers because I will splurge on a "good" familycamera later.

Is there a decent option out there for around $100? To help put things into her perspective, if you ask what one she likes, she will answer, "That pink one we saw in New York."

Help? Thanks!
NickG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:50 PM   #2

Nick-

You might take a look at the Kodak Z-1085 camera. OfficeMax has it at $(US) 119.99 on their website. Another possibility is the new Canon A-2000, or the A-590 (I saw it yesterday at $(US) 148.99.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:51 PM   #3

$100 is too low for a decent ultracompact camera, unless you can find a spectacular sale. Some good, slim cameras that come in pink which sell for less than $150 are the Canon SD1100, Panasonic FS3 and Sony W120.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:53 PM   #4

This site has a shopping list for you -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/holiday2008/entry.html

However, only 3 of the cameras on that list are near $100. Those being the Nikon S210, Olympus FE-340, and Panasonic LZ8. I like Oly cameras, but that FE-340 is soft on performance. Which leaves the Nikon and Panny. The Nikon is sleek and stylish, the Panny is definitely not that. Otherwise, bump the price up near $150 and a lot of nice cameras come into play, as Andy has pointed out.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:01 PM   #5

$150 is fine. I was just shooting low LOL.

Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:25 PM   #6

Let's put some of these cameras in perspective. Is it safe to assume that any of the cameras mentioned in this thread would be an upgrade from my 7-year-old, 3.0mp olympus?

For example, to say the Oly 340 is short on performance, is it still better than my current camera?

Reason being as mentioned before, we're fine with the current camera. If SM cards were more affordable or less finnicky, I doubt I'b be looking.

I like the Oly 340. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:02 PM   #7

Steve gave the Oly FE-340 a mediocre review and suggests the Canon SD1100is a better alternative.

Quote:
If you are looking for a similarly priced model with better performance, image quality, and longer movie recording, check out our review of the Canon SD1100 IS, which can be had for just $50 more.
Steve also really likes the Panasonic FS3

Quote:
The combination of quality and performance make this a great choice for anyone looking for their first digital camera, or anyone that does not have a lot of experience with cameras.
and the Sony W120

Quote:
With its good image quality, fast performance, durable exterior, new Smile Shutter mode, and choice of 4 stylish colors (pink, blue, black, silver), the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W120 is sure to be a very popular model this year; especially with the teen crowds.
Something to consider.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:13 PM   #8

Short answer is "yes". New camera will beat old 3Mp camera.

My bad, BTW. When I said the Oly was soft I was actually thinking of the new FE-360, not the old FE-340. Attribute this to a soft mind :sad:

Here is the FE-340 review -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...fe340_pg5.html

You literally have to pixelpeep to see any difference in resolution from the Nikon S210. Nikon review here -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_..._s210_pg5.html

Both the Nikon and Oly FE-340 are sharper than the Panasonic FS3 -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...c_fs3_pg5.html

I like the design of the Oly FE-340 too. It is now being replaced with the FE-370. Very similar "package" to the FE-340. But the FE-370 has improvements like sensor-shift image stabilization. Which the FE-340 lacks. The Nikon S210 lacks true stabilization as well, but does try to compensate with their VR blur reduction.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol...60-370_pr.html

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:15 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies and help!

I think the FE-370 is the ticket. For the price, it doesn't make sense to get the 340. Even though many of the "expert" reviews of it don't always praise it completely, the customer reviews are almost 100% loving it.

For the money, it sounds like I can't go wrong with it. Plus, my current Oly has been a great camera. I still get many compliments on my pics.

Once again, thanks for the help