Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1

I'm trying to help a buddy of mine get a camera. He does club auto racing and wants to get some decent photos of his car at the track. He's not looking for "professional" poster type prints, but wants to be able to get pictures sharp enought to print/frame/ect. I see there's a recent post about shooting triathalon subjects, sorry if this is rendundant, but the cars are moving a little faster and I thought a separate thread might be better.

I realize most of this will be technique, panning, shuter speed, ISO speed, aperature etc. Our question is- how to get started with the right hardware assuming he can learn the techniques.

He's looking at some of the "superzoom" prosumer cams, like the Canon SX10 IS. He's a relative noob with cameras, so I'm thinking the more straightforward the better. Is a camera like that capable of taking decent pics in this setting, or does he HAVE to step up to a full blown professional SLR, lens/filter setup? He doesn't want more camera than he needs, but he doesn't want to waste $$$ on a camera that will never be able to get a good shot. I'm thinking he may have a hard time with a complex setup. If he does need a SLR, what specific camera/lens combo would you recommend?

The cars are mostly in the 100-150mph range, this isn't 200+ NASCAR stuff. He can get relatively close to the track.

thanks in advance.
rprice54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:00 PM   #2

Have your friend take a look at the Panasonic FZ-28. Its selling for around $(US) 240.00 at B&H.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:01 PM   #3

That's another one we looked at. Any specific reason for that one other than price?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:02 PM   #4

There are several examples of auto racing photos in the Sports & Action Photosforum. I suggest that you browse through them to see what kind of gear those people have used.

In addition, the Canon XSi has the best autofocus system for sports/action/wildlife (in a reasonably priced camera.) It currently goes for $650, but with a $100 rebate if you also buy the Canon 55-250 IS lens which goes for about $240. I think this would be a great kit for your friend's purposes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 1:30 PM   #5

Here is what the Panasonic TZ-5 can do with horse racing. The Panasonic FZ-28 is a step up from the TZ-5. The FZ-28 has faster action and I think it will cover your requirements nicely. BTW the FZ-28 cost less than 50% of the cost of a Canon XSi!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:01 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies, will do some browsing of the sports forums. I think the panasonic or canon will work.