Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:37 PM   #1

hi everyone and thank you in advance for your time, insight and interest. I am just an amateur so I won't be able to communicate in technical language.
I am looking to buy a pocket size camera that features:
- a wide as possible lens for architecturally usable sights and landscapes of course
- an intense zoom
- the ability to take fast focused shots (unlike the olympus 570 for instance/i know it's a bridge but you know what i mean)
- the ability to quickly handle manually the settings if desired without the labyrinth of the menus
- you know, in all something i can keep always on me, is solid, can rely on for years for everyday most common situations and descent in low light indoor events.
If it had a bigger zoom my choice would be the canon g10 but i am also considering the panasonic tz5. What are their limitations and flows? Any other suggestions? What do you think?
jannisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:08 PM   #2

jannisa-

The Panasonic TZ-5 might be the answer to meet your pocket size requirements. It has a a 28mm wide angle to 280mm (all in 35mm terms) So it gives you both a wide angle and some zoom

The Canon G-10 does not really have much of a wide angle and it has less zoom.

Another option is the Panasonic FZ-28 which is a better camera offering a 28mm wide angle all the way out to 500mm (in 35mm terms) of zoom. However in is not exacly pocket size.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:44 PM   #3

thanks sarah. i have seen your several posts for the fz-28 and it would be my choice if it was smaller. Actually i think that the g10 is also 6.1mm (280 in 35mm) but with less zoom than the pany tz5. Do you have any info about image quality between the two or even the sony w170? Which one sounds a better deal to you?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:58 PM   #4

Jannisa-

The Sony W-170 has received good reviews.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:51 PM   #5

Yves-

I really like the FZ-28 too However, the OP was asking for a "pocket camera."

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 14, 2008, 12:11 AM   #6

Jannisa... the tough part of your request is finding something that's pocket sized while offering a very good zoom range at the same time. Right now, I have to say the only camera that seems to even come close to your specifications is the Panasonic TZ5.

Granted it doesn't have as many manual controls as either of us would like and I personally wish it had a larger sensor. But the TZ5 does zoom from an equivalent of 28mm to 280mm - and you can't find anything else like that in this size class. At least not yet. What's more, it seems to be a very popular camera that has a lot of satisfied owners.

If you don't need as much zoom range and really want to keep the price down, might I suggest the Fujifilm F100fd, which has the same zoom range as the Canon G10, excellent high ISO performance for a camera in its class (much better than the G10), the same-sized sensor as the G10 and a price that's more than $100 less than a G10. This is an excellent, moderately priced all-round camera to carry with you on a daily basis.

You mentioned landscapes, which might mean having a very wide lens is ultimately more important than a long zoom. If so, might I suggest the Panasonic LX3. You're back in the G10 price range again but the excellent Leica lens is an ultra-fast f/2.0-2.8 and pulls out as wide as 24mm (a significant advantage over 28mm). Of course, the lens will only go as long as 60mm. Still, I can't think of a better pocket-sized camera for landscapes of any kind - urban or rural. Indoors, the fast lens and decent noise performance up to 1600 ISO will allow you to capture great photos without flash.

The G10, of course, is a lovely camera that feels great in your hand and offers great manual controls on the camera body. It also provides stunning photos at low ISOs. Unfortunately, those 14 megapixels in the G10 also create problems with digital noise at higher ISOs. Some of the better cameras in the 10-12 megapixel range can outperform the G10 in terms of image quality at high ISOs. And, of course, the G10's zoom range is "only" 28-140mm. Frankly, that zoom range doesn't bother me. It's likely to cover anything that might come up under "normal" conditions on a day-to-day basis.

In the end, Jannisa, I suspect you're going to have to make some choices: What is more important - a very wide-angle lens or a long telephoto? If you simply must have both, you can find them in the Panasonic FZ28. Plus, that camera offers pretty speedy performance and, like the TZ5, has a lot of happy, satisfied owners. But it's a slightly larger camera (I don't really think it qualifies as a pocket camera) and high ISO performance won't be as good as with either the Fujifilm F100fd or the Panasonic LX3. If the FZ28 doesn't meet your requirements and you still insist on that long telephoto range, then you must ask yourself if perhaps you really need a different kind of camera - one that definitely won't fit in your pocket.

Hope the feedback helps. For reviews of the cameras mentioned above, check out the reviews section on this Web site. If you really want to get down to the pixel-peeping level, then try http://www.dpreview.com and check out the "Camera database" section on the left side of the page and look for the camera in question by brand inside. Not all cameras shown will feature reviews, but I believe all of the ones I have mentioned are fully reviewed. Good luck!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:55 AM   #7

Biro-

The Panasonic FZ-28 actually does quite well in a high ISO/no flash situation. Here is one at ISO 800.

I would use my Fuji S-6000, but it has no IS.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2008, 1:29 PM   #8

Well, okay then, Sarah. I didn't mean to say the FZ28 is bad at high ISO, but that's still better than I expected. BTW, I just bought a FZ28 for my stepdaughter.

So then it's pretty much a question of the FZ28's size for Jannisa. It's still a compact camera and much smaller than a DSLR and a number of other bridge cameras, but she'll probably still need to carry it in a small case, not in her pocket.

If the TZ5, which has a sensor either exactly or about the same size as the FZ28, offers the same performance, that might still be the perfect choice.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:35 PM   #9

Biro-

I own both the TZ-5 and the FZ-28. The FZ-28 does a much better job in the high ISO/no flash situation. I am in 100% agreement that the TZ-5 is a classic of convenience, and I had great hopes for it in the high ISO/no flash situation. But the IQ is much less than the FZ-28,or FZ-18 which I also own.

The only camera that can come close to the FZ-28 is the Sony H-50. But I don't think that it is quite as sharp as the FZ-28. Here is one from the H-50.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:20 AM   #10

thank you all for your replies. merry christmas to all and happy holidays. it really makes me feel like a human knowing that we can help each other even in such a distant way. i feel it is not distant at all!!!!!!!!!! happy new year