Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:46 AM   #11

Sasha-

I do a lot of work with superzoom cameras and they can be very cost effective while providing reasonably good image quality.

If you do a lot of low light level/high ISO setting photos I would avaoid the SP-570 and the Nikon P-80 due to noise.And the Canon SX-10 IS becuse the aperture becomes very small and narrowed as you zoom out.

My number 1 choice among the superzooms would be the Panasonic FZ-28. My second choice would be the Sony H-50. Both are very good cameras. I believe that the FZ-28 could handle sporting photos a bit better than the H-50. The Sony H-7, while a good camera is last year's model, another superzoom to look at would be the Kodak Z-1012 as well.

All of the superzoom can be shot in a fully automatic mode and could be very, very easily used by your wife without any problems at all. Here is a FZ-28 photo for reference.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:54 AM   #12

Huh, i think i may be getting close to purchase here. I am leaning heavily towards that FZ28 now, i also like the H-50 but it seems hard to find one around here, not many stores have it and its mostly unavailable. Kodak cameras are not sold here, at least not under the name kodak. Is there any point to consider the panasonic TZ5? there seems to be alot of them, they have a decent price and decent features based on the reviews.

Sasha
sasaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:19 PM   #13

Sasha-

The Panasonic TZ-5 is a very compact camera featuring a zoom range from 28 to 280mm (in 35 mm terms). However, it is a mostly automatic camera.The TZ-5is a very popular camera here in the USA.

The FZ-28 on the other hand is a larger camera with both full automatic and full manual features. It has a much longer zoom capability. I own both cameras and they are very good cameras. However, both cameras has a rather limited flash range when using the built-in flash at distances over 10 feet. That limited flash range capability can be easily overcome by using a slave flash. However, adding a slave flash also increases your total camera cost.

I am attaching a TZ-5 photo for your reference. This sample photo was taken without flash at ISO 800 in a local flower shop.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:56 PM   #14

Sasha-

Here is another Panasonic TZ-5 photo sample. It is a typical flash snapshot. However, it does show what the TZ-5 can do as a family camera. Please keep in mind that the TZ-5 does not have an optical viewfinder. Instead all photos are sighted and framed using the 3 inch LCD screen. The person in the photois my husband.

This would be the typical kind of photo that your wife could easily take herself.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:38 AM   #15

Great. Thanks for the samples. TZ5 seems capable, but it looks to much like a normal 3x zoom camera, i want something that looks more substantial. I got work in the morning and then i go shopping. Hopefully i am coming home with a FZ28. I will write what i end up buying.

Sasha
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:23 AM   #16

I, of course, defer to mtclimber on P&S digicams, but I will reiterate what she said about "the FZ-28 could handle sporting photos a bit better than the H-50." I believe that would indicate that it would handle sporting photos much better than the TZ5.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:30 AM   #17

I see your point TCav hehe. TZ5 is out of the picture this time around. I've been out to the stores and got very disappointed with the weak selection of super-zooms they had. Old models and outrages prices is what i found. I will give one more store a try today since i think they have the FZ-28. Otherwise i will just order over the net.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:02 AM   #18

Sasha-

The Panasonic FZ-28 is a great all around camera offering a lot of user flexibility. It is the very popular replacement for last year's FZ-18. The Fz-28 is very capable of low light level photography without flash, as well as long zoom shots (up to504mm in 35mm terms) ideal for photographing wildlife and hikong situations.

Sasha, it will be worth searching for or even ordering it over the net.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:38 PM   #19

Asking for a entry level DSLR is like asking for a entry level formula one race car!

All cameras are made for the masses. The one you choose is more based on your curent experience with various brands unless you are not happy with the brand camera you now have, feel you will not be able to afford additional lenses from the same company (Nikon pictures are taken with Nikon glass, same applies to Olympus and Pentax) or the additional lenses are too heavy for you to hand hold (in this situation stay with a fixed lens camera).

When I was into 35mm slr cameras I would watch people shop at a large camera store. They were buying a Nikon F4 camera and saving some money by buying a 80-200 mm Star-D lens. This is like mounting a soda bottle on a Nikon and say they shoot with Nikon gear!

Think more about what your pocket and should can bear!

BiLL

:|

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:28 AM   #20

Hi again! well, i still havent ordered my camera although i am actively searching and honestly getting tired of it. After great advice that i got here i have no doubts that pana fz28 is the cam for me and really there is one and only problem that is keeping me from ordering it. I have always been sort of obsessed with best value and getting the best for the least money. I annoy myself with it often but i cant help it. The problem is that in the stores that are available to me, the fz28 is just expensive. And even though i can afford it, i have doubts over the best value for money issue.
To put it in numbers so you could see my doubts, here it is (i converted into usd approx.):
fz28 - 550$
H50/P80 - 450$
z1012/z1015 - 350$

There are also a couple of fuji's (s2000hd, s8100fd) for about 350$-400$. Now those are pretty solid price gaps and i wonder if you think that keeping the price difference in mind you would go for/recommend one of the other models or would you stick with the fz28 with the top price (and top option of course)? Like i said, i can afford all of them but i would still like to get a good deal. I am also just a total amateur in photography.

Sasha