Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:44 AM   #21

Sasha-

I can certainly appreciate your feelings. The Kodak Z-1012 is a very good 10mp camera with 12X optical zoom. It has received very good professional reviews. It is an easy camera to use, has an easy menu system,and has some very nice features.

I would, however, stay away from the Z-1015 model, as there have been reports about slow processing times. That is the time after which you have snapped a photo until when you are able to take the next photo.

I own a Kodak Z-1012 and can easily recommend it as a great starter camera. Attached you will find a flash photo taken with the Z-1012 of my husband.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:40 PM   #22

Look at Steve's review and prices for the camera in USA and Europe. This could be a good time for a vaction to NY city.

BiLL

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:35 PM   #23

bill2468 wrote:
Quote:
Look at Steve's review and prices for the camera in USA and Europe. This could be a good time for a vaction to NY city.
Keep in mind that NYC sales tax rate is 4 percent (in addition to the New York State sales and use tax of 4 percent and the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District surcharge of 0.375%), for a total Sales and Use tax of 8.375 percent.

There are lots of reasons to take a vacation in NYC, including just wandering around Adorama or B&H,but 8.375 percentcould pay for a lot of shipping.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:25 PM   #24

Just for the record, Sasha does not live in the USA. If asked, I really don't think that he would be very concerned about the Sales Tax Rate in New York City. He lives either in Norway or Sweden.

What is the REAL point you are attempting to make, my good friend, TCav??

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:50 PM   #25

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
What is the REAL point you are attempting to make, my good friend, TCav??
A lot of people, here and elswhere, think they can save money on shipping by going to New York City themselvesto buy something. The 8.375%Sales Tax can eat into that savings pretty quickly, often surpassing whatthe actual shipping cost might have been.

There are lots of good reasons to go to NYC, but buying stuff isn't necessarily one of them.

And that's coming from someone that grew up on the NYC Subways.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:26 PM   #26

TCav-

I apologize, I missed your point originally. My bad! 'Sorry!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:29 PM   #27

Hehe yea i am from Norway but i did live in the US for 6 years (college). I wouldnt take a trip to NY for a camera unless maybe i could bring back a thousand gallons of gas with me. Dear lord, you guys have 4 times cheaper gas than we do here. To make things worse, Norway is a big oil producer so go figure.
Anyways, i finally ordered the FZ28. I know it was the right choice thanks to you guys who set me on the right path. In addition, i am now very interested in photography, something that i never was. So, big thanks to Sarah, Tcav and everybody else with input. Also thanks for this great site and board which i will now visit frequently.

Sasha
sasaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:42 PM   #28

Sasha-

Congratulations! I know you will enjoy the Panasonic FZ-28 very much! Post some beautiful photos of Norway when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2008, 4:44 PM   #29

sasaboss wrote:
Quote:
... I wouldnt take a trip to NY for a camera unless maybe i could bring back a thousand gallons of gas with me. ...
On a trip to NYC, I think a more important consideration would be to bring your own parking space! :-)
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:51 AM   #30

TCav wrote:
Quote:
On a trip to NYC, I think a more important consideration would be to bring your own parking space! :-)
Driving an Abrams down the streets of NYCis illegal I believe, but the Abrams (aka Main Battle Tank of the US Army) is an effective parking space maker.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote