Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:12 AM   #31
Super Moderator

European VAT (like sales tax but you have to quote prices inclusive) is between 15-20% depending on the country.

People in the USA don't realise just how much cheaper photography equipment is over there.

UK prices are marginally higher than the rest of the EU, and 50-75% higher than US prices.

Other countries have prices that are much higher again. Prices in India and South Africa for example are roughly double what they are in the UK, so about 3 times higher than the US prices.

Of course a lot of that is taxes, but Canon in particular seems to be prone to making people pay double if they don't live in the USA. Nikon and Sony are much better, they seem to be much less prone to adding a non-USA charge.

I know a South African chap who flew to NY (10,000 miles) to buy a bunch of Canon pro gear, paid for his flights and a week's hotel and still paid a less than he would have locally.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:30 PM   #32

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
Driving an Abrams down the streets of NYCis illegal I believe,...
And some of those NYPD Meter Maids are mean enough that they'll ticket you no matter what you point at them. :-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:35 AM   #33

Sounds like you really know the FZ28 !

I'm trying to decide between Nikon P80 and FZ28. Used them both at the store last night, took pics of a display without flash - both camera set on AUTO - lighting was of course florescent.

The resultant LCD images were surprisingly different. FZ28 much cooler, whiter, bluer - - - the P80 was yellower, but actually more accurate when compared to the actual display shelf.

Question - do you expect these two images would print differently as well, or is what I'm seeing a result of the LCD screens. Note - when you look through the viewfinders - you can see this color difference as well.

I think both cameras offer what I want, but the top of my list is image quality and color accuracy.

Thanks for your comments.

Al

alhuf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:01 AM   #34

alhuf4-

I purchased the Nikon P-80 and it is a good outdoor camera.However, low light level shooting is a whole different story.On a scale of 1 to 10, it is only, at best a 3.

On the other hand the FZ-28 is an excellent all around camera. The FZ-28 handles low light level shooting at ISO 800 very well. You may wonder what basis doI have to make those kind of value judgements? Well, Ihave taught digital cameras professionally for 12 years. I am also a graduate Mechanial Engineer.

Of course, it is your decision, but in the long run I don't think that you would be well served by the P-80. Also I sort of guess that their were a few flaws in your in store testing. To have done a fair comparison, the WB should have either been set using the custom WB feature or manually set in the menu to accommodate those overhead flourescent lights, the mode selector should have be in P for program, and the ISO should have beenmanually set in the menu to be sure that you obtain comparable results. Here is a sample of what the FZ-28 can do at ISO 800 with the proper WB setting.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:16 AM   #35

Wow - what a great reply!

To be honest, I thought the AUTO settings would (to some degree) compensated for the florescent and/or low lighting conditions. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from the technology. Or - perhaps - the Nikon did a better job at compensating for the actual conditions last night. I'll try again in daylight.

But addressing my primary concern:

By your remarks, I can expect that for

1) outdoor shooting with adequate lighting, and

2) for more challenging lighting conditions such as florescent, low light, flash, etc (with the proper camera settings),

you believe the FZ28 produces prints with good (x out of 10) color and imageaccuracy and quality. You're welcome to use your own wording or rating scale, I just want to be sure I can get great pictures (80% ofwhich are outdoors, landscape, national park settings, beaches, sunrises, people,flowers, bugs, etc., etc.)

Al

PS - FYI - I actually was intending to buy a DSLR, but the size and portability just doesn't fit our active photo-shooting lifestyle. I want it all- in a small package.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:25 AM   #36

Al-

It really depends on what kind of effort you want to put into your photography. A camera like the Canon XS which in some countries is called the Canon EOS-1000, the Nikon D-40, or the Pentax K-2000, would give you much, much better image quality (at least 100% better)and low light level shooting capabilities (at least 200% better).

However, you will be making a somewhat larger investment in the camera. Is it worth it? For me it is. I shoot both ultra zooms and DSLR cameras. But as I said before, it is your choice. It might be better to spend a bit more now, rather than to be looking for another P&S camera next year around Christmas.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:03 PM   #37

alhuf4 wrote:
Quote:
... I want it all- in a small package.
Good luck with that! :-)When you find it, come back and tell us where.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:50 PM   #38

As I sometimes say, it is all about how much effort you want to put into your photography.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 19, 2008, 1:52 PM   #39

Thank you, again, Sarah and others. I've had a dozen cameras and certainly understand limitations. I am certain I'll be happier with P&S.

Just so I'm clear on your remarks,I can expect that for

1) outdoor shooting with adequate lighting, and

2) for more challenging lighting conditions such as florescent, low light, flash, etc (with the proper camera settings),

you believe the FZ28 produces prints withexcellent color and imageaccuracy and quality. You're welcome to use your own wording or rating scale, I just want to be sure I can get great pictures (80% ofwhich are outdoors, landscape, national park settings, beaches, sunrises, people,flowers, bugs, etc., etc.)

For a P&S with both wide angle and long zoom capabilities - is there any better choice?

Al
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:31 PM   #40

Al-

Yes, I sincerely believe that the Panasonic FZ-28 camera, which has a 28mm wide angle position in 35 mm terms, and also allows you to zoom all the way to 504mm in 35 mm terms.

The FZ-28 is a good performer outdoors and when shooting in loe light level conditions. I have already posted a low light level photo from the FZ-28 and now I will attach an out door photo from the FZ-28.

You asked if there is a better P&S camera that meets your requirements. No, not better, but similiar. You might want to also look at the Kodak Z-1012 camera. It is the first Kodak camera that I can recall that can really handle high ISO settings and the challenges of low light level shooting. There might be some advantage in the fact that the Z-1012 is actually a bit smaller in physical size than the FZ-28. Ithowever, does not have a true wide angle and its zoom only extends to 432mm, in 35mm terms. If you earlier in this thread you will also see photo samples from the Z-1012 as well.

The photo sample attached is interesting. It was taken as we moved through the Panama Canal. This is theFZ-28 at max zoom and outdoors.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images