Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1

I'm looking for a compact digital camera with the following properties:
  • fairly compact
  • wide-angle zoom at least 28-120mm
  • good image quality

I've been looking at reviews for Sony DSC-W170, Fuji fd100, Panasonic FX35 and TZ5, plus some Ixuses, and have picked up the following thoughts:
  • I'm used to using an optical view finder so initially I had made my mind up to require one, but that leaves only the Sony...
  • I really dislike grainy pictures (noise?). Is there any compact camera apart from the Fuji with its bigger sensor that performs well in that respect?
  • Shooting video is a nice bonus feature, but I read about both zoom and focus problems while shooting. Are there any compacts that have good support for video?

Thanks
Mike
mikewse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:15 PM   #2

Mike-

You might take a look at the Canon SD-880 that just won a premium compact competition. it has has an lens range in 35mm terms of 28 to 112mm which is very close to your requirements.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:58 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Mike-

You might take a look at the Canon SD-880 that just won a premium compact competition. it has has an lens range in 35mm terms of 28 to 112mm which is very close to your requirements.

Sarah Joyce
Yes, the SD-880 looks nice for most factors apart fromrecording video clips, where it is a bit weak (VGA res and no zooming). I haven't made my mind up yet on how much weight to put on video, but the best in this respect that I've found is the Panasonic TZ5. Does anybody have any comments on this one, or maybe other models that do video recording well?

Best regards
Mike
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:32 PM   #4

Mike-

User comments on the video clips produced by the Panasonic TZ-5 have been a mixed bag. I own the TZ-5, the v ideo is good but not great in my opinion. The photos however, really are great.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:21 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Mike-

User comments on the video clips produced by the Panasonic TZ-5 have been a mixed bag. I own the TZ-5, the v ideo is good but not great in my opinion. The photos however, really are great.

Sarah Joyce
Ah, ok. I wasimpressed withthe HD resolution and ability to zoom while recording, but that doesn't help much if the actual clip doesn't come out any good... thanks for the info!

Best regards
Mike
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:49 PM   #6

You know, Sarah... I have to adjust some of my thinking in terms of taking video capabilities into consideration when advising others about digicams. That's because it's not even a factor for me. I use my digital cameras for photographs and almost no video. If a given camera also offers great HD video at 24fps, that's great, but not a deal maker or breaker for me. But that's clearly not the approach of so many others.

Meanwhile, I have to say that Panasonic's TZ5 may be on its way to becoming the closest thing to a classic among digital cameras. No, it's not perfect - professional reviews can find issues with noise reduction and some noise presence at high ISOs. And I personally would like an optical viewfinder and larger sensor. But in the real world, this camera is flexible and seems to deliver the goods. All at moderate price. I might even pick one up myself.

The only other digital camera (certainly among point and shoots) that I am aware of that has achieved classic or near-classic status is Fujifilm's F30 and F31.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote