Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2008, 6:45 AM   #1

Hi,

I have been searching the net quite a while now for a camera that is suitable for hiking. I've found that there's really too much selection and too many variables to pick something out. I know I will be needing a camera that operates on batteries, either 2 AA or 4 and that Image stabilization is a must. Also, an optical viewfinder is something I would like.

I've looked at all sorts of cameras, from the shockproof and weatherproof Olympus Stylus 1030SW, to Canon powershot line. Whether it be the A720IS or the newer ones. Right now, the A720IS seems the most suitable due to the fact that it meets all of the aforementioned criteria. But since there's a lot of new cameras always coming out, and there's really a huge selection, I wanted to know if I was missing something, or wasn't searching in the right places.

Thanks.
Shvilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:41 AM   #2

Unfortunately, the A720is is no longer being produced. Good luck finding a new one that's reasonably priced.

Alternatives are either the Canon A590is or the Canon A1000is, high-quality battery powered cameras that have optical viewfinders.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:08 AM   #3

The main draw towards the A720Is is it's 6x optical zoom, which is rare. Finding one won't be a problem for me, but I was wondering if there is anything out there worth taking a look at. Something that rivals the A720is and I don't know about for instance.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:36 AM   #4

Your main "viewfinder alternative" is the SLR types. But they all use electronic viewfinders, not optical.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:36 AM   #5

SLR type cameras are not a good choice since they do not operate on standrad AA batteries and, weigh a lot more than any compact camera. Not mentioning the price.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:53 AM   #6

Shvlist-

One of the most popoular hiking cameras is the Pentax W-60. It is waterproof, dustproof and coldproof. It has 10mp and %X optical zoom. However, it does not use AA batteries. You can even swim with it underwater, taking photos or video clips.

As mentioned previously, the Canon A-710 and A-720 are no longer in prodection. They have been replaced by the Canon A-2000 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:13 AM   #7

Shvlist-

As I mentioned previously, the A-720 has been replaced by the Canon A-2000, a 10mp, 6X optical zoom, AA battery powered, camera. It too is an excellent camera like the Canon A -720 that it replaced. and very small.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:14 AM   #8

Shvlist -

Here is a comparison chart showing the features of the A-720and the A-2000 side by side. You will notice that the canon A-2000 is even a tiny bit smaller and lighter.

Another possibility would be the even less expensive Canon A-590 that has 4X optical zoom, 8 mp, 2 AA batteries, and an optical viewfinder. The A-590 is still widely available.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:19 AM   #9

First of all, thank you Sarah for all your replies and help.

The Pentax, as you mentioned, does not handle AA's and as such, I cannot use it.

The reason I am so persistent on the battery type is because I am going to hike the Pacifc Crest Trail(if you are familiar with it). I will not be seeing many towns during this hike and as such would rather have a camera based on batteries that I can switch, rather than hope I will find some magical socket in the trees.

My main issue with the A2000 is that it has no optical viewfinder and the A720is has more manual controls, which I appreciate. The same goes with the A590.

What I want to know, is that if the A720is(or any other suggestion) is the right camera for my needs. Should I look at other features and not focus on the ones I listed? Or am I looking for something that does not exist? Basically, I know I need a camera that can take great scenery shots and will last the hike.

Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:11 PM   #10

Shvlist-

I am very familiar with the Pacifi Crest Trail and live in Oregon near it. The A-590 does have an optical viewfinder, 8mp and 4X optical zoom. It got great professional reviews and it sells for around $(US) 140.00. So you can see it is a good deal differnt than the Canon A-2000.

IMHO, thus far, I seeyour priorities as:

AA Battery Powered

An Optical Viewfinder

Should have received good professional reviews

Should have 4X to 6X optical zoom

Be reasonably small in size for the ease of Hiking.

You may have to compromise on either the AA batteries or the optical viewfinder, if the Canon A-590 can't cut it. Here is a sample posted photo from the A-590, a pretty remarkable camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images