Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:05 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm looking for a reasonably lightweight camera (I already have a DSLR) that has at least a 10x optical zoom and also sports a swivel or vari-angle LCD screen. I would like for it to have both still picture and video capabilities as well. So far, the only one that I've found that meets all my requirements is the Canon TX-1. Does anyone have any other suggestions for similar cameras? Is this the only one on the market that has all these functions? Are there any new models coming out with these attributes that I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks for your help!
acerbicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:28 PM   #2

You may be interested in the new Canon SX10 IS;

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=17630

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:47 PM   #3

The same features were available on some Canon A-series and s-series cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 3:11 PM   #4

Thanks! The S10 looks like it's a little big though...I'm looking for something small, which is why the TX1 is appealing, as it is elph size. I was just wondering if there are similar models I should compare to.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 4:47 PM   #5

I believe the TX-1 is the only unit out that does what you want. I read the user reviews on Amazon for it, and most seem happy with it. One person said it had too many compromises for him to keep it. The LCD is only 1.7", so you will be hard pressed to see what you are shooting. The long zoom and slow lens requires a longer time for shots in low light, so more fuzzy pics, since image stabilization can do only so much.

The TX-1 ergonomics (comfort to hold and use) has been less than pleasant for most reviewers. Think about how you want to use it, and decide whether it will actually perform as you hope/expect.

If you want an Elph sized camera, and larger camera performance, then I believe you will find mostly disappointment, IMHO.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:19 PM   #6

Dennis-

I agree with you! I got my husband, a big video fan, a TX-1 when the price began to really drop. He did not like either the small LCD nor the ergonomics of the TX-1, so we returned it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:15 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback! I think I may pass on the TX-1 for now. I have read similar reviews, which is why I was looking for other models that might work out for me. I appreciate your comments!