Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:45 PM   #1

I am needing advice for finding a basic camera that can be conveniently plugged into a PC for downloading images and connected to a power supply. I have a special project and I need to permanently attach the camera to a specific location. That means I need a camera that can be connected to a PC and a battery charger or power supply without using some kind of docking station. So I need to be able to directly connect a USB cable to the camera and a cable for the battery charger or power supply without moving the camera from its location. I really have no concern for performance, so I would like to know what camera will meet my needs at the lowest price.
dmehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:52 PM   #2

It seems like if performance is truly not an issue than a decent webcam, such as one from creative labs, logitech, or microsoft would do what you want it to do. These are USB port powered so you eliminate the need for external power. Also, the price point is going to be pretty low in comparison to even a basic point and shoot.
jdonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:04 PM   #3

Actually, I need to clarify this issue because performance does matter in a small way. I have tried using a web camera for my project, but the resolution is simply too low. I was asking this question to camera people because the lowest resolution in a cheap digital camera is at least six or seven megapixels. That was my definition of low performance. I would love to use a web cam, but even at three megapixels a web cam is not a whole lot better than a 1.3 megapixel camera.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 3:50 PM   #4

To my knowledge, there are no 'low end' P&S digicams that can be controlled by a PC.

Perhaps you can givea little more detail about what you've got in mind.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:46 PM   #5

It doesn't have to be controlled by the computer. I just need to be able to easily connect the camera to the PC and charger for uploading pictures and recharging the battery.