Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:06 PM   #11

aun-

Facts are facts! The A-series Canon cameras still remain more popular than the more expensive Sd-series cameras. The A-590, for is now sellling for only $(US) 110.00, a real bargain! Most SD series camera that Andy is heartily recommending are well over $(US) 200.00. So folks please take your own choice. The cameras like the Canon A-590 IS will not remain in dealer's inventory very long.

If anyone asks, you have already been warned. The really good Canon A-series cameras are disappearing quite rapidly simply because they are no longer being produced by Canon.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:54 AM   #12

I was at 2 best buy stores and a camera store ,there are no a-590 left,I need a camera by saturday ,,what would be the next cannon you would recommend thats close to the a 590

The biggest con with the 590 is it wont just slip in your pocket but thats the only con I see except maybe for some plastics in the build
aunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:12 AM   #13

aun-

Thanks for listening. I would say that the next best choice is Canon's SD 1100.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:27 PM   #14

After much research and plenty of help from all of you I purchased a cannon sd1100is today ,Im reading the book now and if there are any tips you all can give that would be great
aunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:28 PM   #15

aun-

I am pretty darned sure that just about any Community College in your area of the country has some excellent digital camera courses. I teach in our local Community College.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:44 AM   #16
dai

I have:

1) A590
2)SD1100
3) SD770
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will only talk about quality, not price. Price speaks for itself.

A590: Excellent photos and excellent videos despite it being less than 30FPS. The negative is that it does not fit into my front pants pocket! I have kids and I need to whip out a cam fast and take pics. Also, there is a little delay on picture taking. Even when I get strangers to take pics of us using my A590, they keep pressing and waiting and eventually mis-time the shot and keep getting blurred horrible shots. The shutter delay is just too long.

SD1100: So... I made up my mind to sell the A590 on Ebay and replace it with a smaller canon so I chose the SD1100 because of the good reviews and specs. Bottom line: The pics are not as good as the A590! The videos are not as good as the A590 despite the FPS being 30 FPS! The positive: No shutter delay at all! This cam is even fast then they ultra compact sonys I've had. Also, the body has a 'matte' finish so its not slippery, but just slippery enough so you can maneuver videofilming with one hand and rotating around your subject with just one hand. No other camera can do this. The size speaks for itself, it one of the smallest cameras out there and easily fits in a shirt pocket and of course a front pant pocket.

SD770: Since I was not satisfied with the picture and video quality of the SD1100, i bought a SD770. Bottom line: It is equivalent to the SD1100 in pic and video quality, no difference, I can't tell. The negative is that it is slightly larger and much slipperier so it is impossible to get a good grip on it.

Conclusion: Do I keep my A590 which produces excellent photos and videos or do I choose to keep the SD1100 because of the better usability factor despite lower quality pics and videos? I can still return the SD1100 back to COSTCO and I will return the SD770 back to Amazon. I didn't op for the SD880 and the SD990 because of the horrible user reviews on amazon about the horrible overly aggressive face detection which make the camera unuseable. It seems like the DIGIC 4 cameras are too new with too many bugs. Wait for a more refined revised version of a future DIGIC 4 camera with all the bugs fixed.

dai is offline   Reply With Quote