Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:38 AM   #1

Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP Digital Camera
Im looking hard at this camera,I had a sony cybershot dsw80 thats been a nightmare..Im not going with that model anymore ,please give pros and cons of this unit above

aunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:47 AM   #2

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...on_sd1100.html

Pros
Quote:
Performance from the SD1100 was excellent.
Quote:
The overall image quality from the SD1100 was good. When shooting outside on a nice sunny day, the camera's performance was excellent. The images were very well exposed, and the colors very vivid and bright.
Quote:
All of the indoor portraits were taken using the pre-set Portrait Scene mode, with excellent results. The enhanced face detection technology does an excellent job of adjusting the flash, exposure, focus and white balance to accommodate all of the faces detected by the camera. The images showed good flash exposures as well as natural looking colors and skin tones.

Cons
Quote:
However, when shooting on a typical cloudy spring day, the SD1100 had a little trouble with its exposures, and like most cameras that we have tested in these conditions, slightly overexposes the sky in order to correctly expose the targeted subject.
Quote:
The lens did produce slight edge softness and some barrel distortion at the wide end and there were slight instances of chromatic aberrations in areas of high contrast.

AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:46 PM   #3

aunk-

Please keep in mind that there are several other options that you should really consider, before you really make a firm decision. Your decision could be as simple and so money saving as the Canon A-590, which is selling at record low levels right now.Would you believe that the Canon A-590 is now selling for only$(US) 110.00. That is very hard to beat any way you can think of on your wildest night.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:28 PM   #4

Ok I looked at a Nikon coolpix today that i really liked,it was really comfortable to the hand and the pictures were great.

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:49 PM   #5

aun-

I will not keep you from the Nikon P&S cameras.In all honest their DSLR cameras are much, much better.But, for what it is worth, I got bamboozled by Nikon's P&S cameras during the summer of 2008. and I lost money and got a poor performing camera. So please be very cautious. it is all not what you think it might be out there.

Sarah Joyce

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:53 PM   #6

Canon cameras are always a bit better and much more reliable. Tell us a bit more about your real needs. At $(US) 120 to $140, the Canon A-590 is really hard to beat.

Here is a A-590 IS photo that I really like. This photo was taken with a Canon A-590 at night!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:48 PM   #7

what i like besides a camera that takes great pictures is one with an easy menu.I really like being able to find the night mode and other modes such as sport and portrait quick and easy.
Theres nothing worse that having to fumble through a menu to get to these modes.

Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:51 PM   #8

whats the difference between the a series power shot and the sd series..
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:11 PM   #9

aun-

The Canon Powershot camerashave been realistically stopped. For example, the Canon A-590 is no longer manufactured at all. In its place we have the very homogenzed Canon A-1000 and the Canon A-2000, which are much LESSER cameras, that do not do very much credit to the great Canon name.

Yes, the SD series are great little metal clad cameras that do less and less with each new introduction. My advice is to grab the Canon A-590 camera. Youwill not see a better camera for more than a few years.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:12 PM   #10

aunkster wrote:
Quote:
whats the difference between the a series power shot and the sd series..
The Canon A series cameras run on AA batteries. The SD series cameras are smaller and run on a rechargeable lithium/ion battery.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote