Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1

I was all set on buying the panasonic FZ18 but then I noticed that there is no inbuilt flash. I know it has a hot shoe but I am looking for a more compact camera.

So, bearing in mind that the photos I will be taking are mainly indoors / dodgy lighting and of a small child what would be the alternative? the G10?

(Only semi / compact cameras please , and budget isn't really an issue either as Santa is buying it !! ho ho ho )

many thanks for any input given
bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:32 AM   #2

The Panasonic FZ18 certainly does have an excellent built-in flash. However, the FZ18 has been replaced by the FZ28, a better camera.

For indoor photos using the flash, most cameras will do an OK job. If you want a good, small, all-purpose camera, the Canon SD1100is (Ixus 80) would be a good selection.

If you need indoor pictures without a flash, the best small camera for that purpose is the Fuji F100fd.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:25 AM   #3

sorry, my brains not in gear I meant to write I am thinking of buying the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, which doesn't have the flash but has the features I am looking for,

So whats the closest to the lx3 but with a inbuilt flash
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:42 AM   #4

The LX3 does have a built-in flash, it pops up from the left side (looking from the back of the camera). Here's a review with images of the camera, to include the flash on the DCR website, since Steve's doesn't have a review of it yet.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...+lumix+dmc-lx3

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5

bonjen-

Referring to the attached photo, you can easily see that the Panasonic FZ-18 does indeed have a built-in flash unit. However, the built-in flash unit on the FZ-18 and it successor the FZ-28 have a limited flash range of about 12 feet.

If you desire more distance between your subject and the camera mounted built-in flash unit, than the maximum flash range of 12 feet (for the built-in flash), then you are going to need to add more flash power.

Neither the FZ-18, not the FZ-28 have a camera mounted flash shoe. Therefore, the only way you can add more light is to utilize a slave flash. Please note the Sony brand slave flash unit mounted on the left side of the FZ-18 in the attached photo.

There is no electrical connection required to operate any slave flash because the slave flash fires when it is triggered by (in this case) by the FZ-18's built-in flash firing. Therefore, any brand slave flash will work with any camera that has a built-in flash.

I purchased this Sony brand slave flash at a local garage sale for $(US) 2.00. With that slave flash the flash range of the FZ-18 has now been expanded out to 40 feet because you can adjust the output of that particular Sony brand slave flash.

The FZ-28 is the successor to the FZ-18 and it is a much improved camera primarily due to its much improved Venus 4 processor which allows for the use of ISO 800, without much visible noise, in no flash/ low light level photo environments.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:45 AM   #6

bonjen3 wrote:
Quote:
sorry, my brains not in gear I meant to write I am thinking of buying the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, which doesn't have the flash but has the features I am looking for,

So whats the closest to the lx3 but with a inbuilt flash
The LX3 does have a built-in flash.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:12 PM   #7

bonjen-

As Andy noted, the LX-3 does have a built in flash unit. The fast range is just about that of the FZ-18 or FZ-28, roughly 12 feet. A slave flash, as I explained above would give you more flash range, if that was your desire.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:47 PM   #8

thanks very much for all your polite replies, it must get quite irritating dealing with people like me at times :G

I've read reviews on both the fz28 and the lx3, and looked up lots of threads on this forum about them, they both seem to be great cameras but there seems to be conflicting advise, so Im not sure which way to jump.
As the shots will mainly be indoors, I don't really need the zoom of the fz28 (although it would be nice to have anyway) , so I am thinking the slighly faster lens of the lx3 would be better for me?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:40 PM   #9

bonjen-

If the majority of your photos are going to be taken inside, is your intent to use flash? If it is flash, please keep in mind that the effective flash range on most P&S cameras is no more than 10 to 12 feet.

Flash can be a very creative source of light. But there is no sense heading off in that direction unless we know more about the light startegy you intend to use with your proposed new camera. So please share a few more details with us.

Thanks!

Sarah Joyce

Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:13 PM   #10

Hi Sarah,
the camera will mainly be used indoors for the usual family stuff, kids, birthdays and to photograph a new baby in our family.
however I also have a nice ski trip planned so will be getting used for holidays too, thats why I was going down the great zoom feature.

as for using flash, I'd rather not have to use flash thats why I was looking at paying slightly more for the faster lens
if I was doing a home mini shoot of the baby then I suppose I wouldn't mind adding an external flash. However, portability of the camera is important to me, I certainly wouldn't want to be taking the camera outdoors with extra add on flashes.

the other important factor is size - I note that the g10 is a fair bit smaller than the fz28 which is a real plus, saying that the size of the panasonic lx3 is better again.

I realize that its a trade off, Im just struggling to compair the 3 cameras and the more I look , the more other options I see and the merry-go- round starts again

So in order of priority
fast lens / good indoors
size
zoom
price