Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:04 PM   #1

Hi all,
First of all I would like thank all of you for your wonderful contributions in these forums. I am looking for a new digital camera which can fulfil most of my criteria below. I will be printing some of my pics at 8"X10" or more (if possible). I am a novice but I want to learn the art of photography. All your advice will make me take a good/informed decision. In short, best bang for buck.

Price Range: Preferably within $200

Size: Compact

Preferences:

1. Image Quality (Outdoor/Indoor/Low Light)
2. Wide angle (preferably)
3. Minimum 5x Zoom
4. Manual Control (though not extremely essential)
5. Standard Video output.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards
Joy
JoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:02 PM   #2

Joy-

This might be the time to go a bit higher than your $(US) 200.00 budget. The Panasonic TZ-5 is selling for around $(US) 220.00.It is very compact width 4.1, Height 2.3. and Depth 1.4 (all expressed in inches), 10X optical zoom (28 to 280mm in 35mm terms) giving you your desired wide angle capability, it has some manual controls, and HD video clip output.

If you can do without the video clip capability, the Panasonic TZ-4 selling at around $(US) 154.00. The attached photo sample was taken without flash, using an ISO setting of 800,in the floral department of our local super market with the TZ-5. The exact same results could be obtained with the TZ-4.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:59 PM   #3

Not so much zoom as the TZ jobs. But the Sony W150 and W170 are not too shabby in low light. Also give you slightly more control than the Panasonics.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:15 AM   #4

Sarah & Kelly,
Thanks for your suggestions. I am myself keen on TZ-4/5 but in lot of forums, I have heard a lot of buzz about noise & details smearing. Also, how is low light photography in TZ-4/5 ? Recently DP Review has chosen Panasonic LZ-8 as best budget camera, how is that camera?

Since, I am a novice, I want know
1. How noise affects in printing photos?
2. How important is view finder in real life situation?
3. How important is manual controls?

Thanks & Regards

Joy
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:45 AM   #5

Joy-

Ironically I own the Panasonic TZ-5, the FZ-28 and the LZ-8. So perhaps I can offer some input. Of the three cameras, quite clearly the FZ-28 is the very clear winner in the low light level department. However, it is physically larger in size. The LZ-8 is a good outdoor camera, however, the flash is under powered and it is really out of its element attempting to do low light level shooting. Attached you will find an FZ-28 sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:03 AM   #6

Sarah,
Nice Photo. What about noise & details smearing in TZ-4/5? Will it affect, if I want to print some? Of the two TZ-4/5 & FZ-28, which one do you think would be best for me considering this will be my first digital camera. Can you pls upload a TZ-5 low light sample.

Thanks & Regards

Joy
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:16 AM   #7

Joy-

Here is a sample TZ-5 photo at ISO 800 in low light level shooting conditions. The TZ-4 would produce a very similiar result. You will note that there is indeed some noticeable smearing, caused by the significant Noise Reduction being applied by the camera.

I think that you really see a quality difference in low light level shooting between the FZ-28 and the TZ-4 and TZ-5 cameras. If it were me I would opt for the FZ-28, but I really have no knowledge of your photographic background or skills.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:43 PM   #8

Hi Sarah,
First of all THANKS for all your help. As told before, I am a novice. I have some experience in film (35 mm) photography. Nothing exceptional. I want to learn photography. How big is FZ-28, can it be taken at least in a small pouch while travelling? I want to explore the world of photography. As I don't know yet in which field I will be inclined, I just want want a Good camera. You are really helpful in making my choice. Pls bear with me some more.

Also, I want to know why canon pictures are better to view though other models get better ratings.

One last thing, pls explain how noise affects printing.

Thank you once again for being such a nice person.

Thanks & Regards

Joy

P.S. If I print your picture of TZ-5 in 8X10, will it be sharp.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:17 PM   #9

Well let's deal with the Panasonic FZ-28 first. Its actual measurements, expressed in inches are: Width-4.6, Height-3.0, Depth-3.5. I carry my FZ-28 with me all the timein my purse.

It is very impractical to try to print my posted TZ-5 photo because its resolution had to be substantially reduced, so that it could be posted on the Forum. If you print a photo, noise will appear as grainines in the print. Also noise reduction is also done within the TZ-5 camera. That noise reduction creates it own signature flaw in your prints. Noise reduction shows up as a smearing of fine detail in the photo. Somtimes it is often called the waterpainting effect.

Every major camera manufacturer makes some excellent cameras and some less than excellent cameras. That is why we attempt to discuss particular models of cameras here on the Forum. It would be incorrect to say generically that Canon, or Nikon, or Pentax produce great cameras. They all have some "hits and misses."

If you want an alternative camera suggestion of a camera that is physically smaller in size than the Panasonic FZ-28, you might want to take a look at the Kodak Z-1012 camera. It actually does quite well, image quality-wiseat high ISO settings, and in fact has a "High ISO" setting on the Z-1012's Mode Selector. The attached side by side photo tells the size story. I will in another post attach some photo samples from the Z-1012 as well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:47 PM   #10

Joy-

Here is one of the promised photo samples from the Kodak Z-1012 camera. This is a very challenging low light level situation. Here we are using no flash at all. The only light is coming from normal home lighting.

God Bless my husband, he is always willing to pose for me.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images