Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:14 AM   #1

Have a 3-year old Lumix LX-1. Liked the 16:9 format mostly.

But I knew the image quality didn't get the same reviews. Still, it's served me well.

I considered DSLR but I have little interest in investing in lenses and even less interest in doing any post-processing. Main interest is travel photography and I tend to shoot a lot and keep a portion but stopped tweaking these photos.

Also, not interested in carrying larger, heavier gear. Not just the DSLR itself but all the associated gear you'd really need.

So looking at P&S, I see that the Lumix LX-3 has gotten good reviews. Image quality appears to be among the best for non-DSLRs. Also like the 720p movie mode.

But of course, the fast lens has a limited zoom range and the pixel density isn't that much greater than my current camera and falls behind competitors.

Since the camera has been out almost a year, I wonder if the new models to be released, including possibly by Panasonic, won't eclipse it in many areas, including megapixels, lens and perhaps a 1080p movie mode.

I do have a trip coming up in March/April, so I could hope something is out by then. Any rumors or suggestions of what's to come next year?

I wouldn't mind paying DSLR prices for a full frame sensor in a P&S form factor. But it seems these manufacturers have premium products to protect.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:07 AM   #2

wco81 wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't mind paying DSLR prices for a full frame sensor in a P&S form factor. But it seems these manufacturers have premium products to protect.
Well you won't see that happen. That would require lenses the size of a DSLR. So building a camera body the size of a DSLR with a lens the size of full frame DSLR lenses. You can't increase the size of the sensor without increasing the size of the lens. What would be the point? Because the sensor is so expensive, if this camera has a fixed lens the markup would have to be huge to make up for the cost. So, it's as big as a dslr, costs more and you're limited to a single lens thus losing teh benefit of the dslr. There's really no benefit to buying such a camera and thus no reason to make it.

I wish I had a suggestion for your required camera. I'll let others more familiar with the current digicams answer that. I just wanted to comment on why this particular wish will not come true.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:38 AM   #3

I suggest you consider, just as an experiment, the Kodak range of superzooms, preferably the Z1012is. The price is now very downmarket, but the performance is pretty wonderful, and a good compromiseon weight, size, image quality, price.

I speak as a film SLR convert about 6 years ago.I now at last have a camera that's the best I've owned in 47 years of photographic enthusiasm (since age 12). It'll fit in a small 'bum bag' (as we call them this side of the Atlantic). See the 'Kodak' forum for specimen shots and discussion of the size.

If you get one and don't like it, just keep it as a spare. It's a tenth the price of a good dSLR outfit. There are more upmarket (but bigger and heavier) superzooms to consider as well.

What John G says is completely true. If you want the full zoom range on a big sensor, you'll have to carry the glass to go with it.

Usingthe 16:9 format seems strange to me; it just throws away pixels unless the sensor is 16:9. Why not use all of the sensor and then crop it later to suit your taste? But the Kodaks have it if you really want it,
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:31 PM   #4

Good Morning,

I have been looking for something to replace my Canon SD500 that my son "borrowed" for school. Looking for something small, light and easy to carry when my Pentax dSLR is not practical (on most business trips).

In terms of anything near an APS-C sensor size (let alone a full sized 35mm) - which is pretty much the standard size for dSLRs, you only have 2 choices and that is the Sigma DP-1 and DP-2. They are essentially the same physical size as the LX1/2/3, featuring a sensor size that is slightly smaller than the APS-C. How do they do it - with a fixed focal length of 40mm. If your interested, you can go read the specs. They are speciality cameras. They (at least the DP-1 and the DP-2 is just coming out so who knows) are expensive, very slow to focus .... The DP-2 has a 24.2mm F2.8 lens (40mm 35 equivalent, fixed).....

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/PR_EN_DP2_0809.pdf

Your next option is the Panasonic LX-3 or Leica D-Lux 4 - same camera essentially. Pretty much the same package as your LX-1 and you know the rest, probably better than I do.

After about 3 months of looking and comparing, yesterday - I ordered the LX-3. There is nothing out there that has a lens that is as fast or as wide, a sensor that is as large, and with the other compact P&S squeezing down the sensor size, while packing in the pixels, I feel that it will have less noise that most anything else.

I comprismised across the board, its not as small as I wanted, but then you have this little thing called Physics hitting you in the nose - and even though my Optics class was 40 years ago, its still light that your dealing with, and it only bends so far.

I have not heard of any rumors of the next model (LX-4??)and when, so I just went with what is currently available. Looking at the LX1 to 2 and to the 3 model, I am guessing that at least another year. Unless Canon, Nikon or Sony, etc. picks up on the lower pixel count, with a larger sensor, good fast lens, wide angle, manual controls and also goes with a limited zoom range (that Physics thing again), there will be a lack of other cameras from which to choose. Throw in the current economic climate, and it could be another 2 years or so until they may have a new model - since they might as well squeeze all the non recurring expenses out of this design/tooling and maximize the profits.

... but then again I could be absolutely wrong - I do not have any special insight here.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps. Happy Holidays!!!!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:20 PM   #5

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning,

I have been looking for something to replace my Canon SD500 that my son "borrowed" for school.¬* Looking for something small, light and easy to carry when my Pentax dSLR is not practical (on most business trips).

In terms of anything near an APS-C sensor size (let alone a full sized 35mm) - which is pretty much the standard size for dSLRs, you only have 2 choices and that is the Sigma DP-1 and DP-2.¬* They are essentially the same physical size as the LX1/2/3, featuring a sensor size that is slightly smaller than the APS-C.¬* How do they do it - with a fixed focal length of 40mm.¬* If your interested, you can go read the specs.¬* They are speciality cameras.¬* They (at least the DP-1 and the DP-2 is just coming out so who knows) are expensive, very slow to focus ....¬*¬* The DP-2 has a 24.2mm F2.8 lens (40mm 35 equivalent, fixed).....

¬*¬*¬*¬* http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/PR_EN_DP2_0809.pdf

Your next option is the Panasonic LX-3 or Leica D-Lux 4 - same camera essentially.¬* Pretty much the same package as your LX-1 and you know the rest, probably better than I do.

After about 3 months of looking and comparing, yesterday - I ordered the LX-3.¬* There is nothing out there that has a lens that is as fast or as wide, a sensor that is as large, and with the other compact P&S squeezing down the sensor size, while packing in the pixels, I feel that it will have less noise that most anything else.

I comprismised across the board, its not as small as I wanted, but then you have this little thing called Physics hitting you in the nose - and even though my Optics class was 40 years ago, its still light that your dealing with, and it only bends so far.¬*

I have not heard of any rumors of the next model (LX-4??)and when, so I just went with what is currently available.¬* Looking at the LX1 to 2 and to the 3 model, I am guessing that at least another year.¬* Unless Canon, Nikon or Sony, etc. picks up on the lower pixel count, with a larger sensor, good fast lens, wide angle, manual controls and also goes with a limited zoom range (that Physics thing again), there will be a lack of other cameras from which to choose.¬* Throw in the current economic climate, and it could be another 2 years or so until they may have a new model - since they might as well squeeze all the non recurring expenses out of this design/tooling and maximize the profits.

... but then again I could be absolutely wrong - I do not have any special insight here.

Just my 2 cents worth.¬* Hope it helps.¬* Happy Holidays!!!!!!
Sounds like the LX2 came out in 2007 and the LX3 came out in 2008. That's why I was wondering if they had anything else on the pipeline.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:37 PM   #6

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
I suggest you consider, just as an experiment, the Kodak range of superzooms, preferably the Z1012is. The price is now very downmarket, but the performance is pretty wonderful, and a good compromise¬*on weight, size, image quality, price.

I speak as a film SLR convert about 6 years ago.¬*I now at last have a camera that's the best I've owned in 47 years of photographic enthusiasm (since age 12). It'll fit in a small 'bum bag' (as we call them this side of the Atlantic). See the 'Kodak' forum for specimen shots and discussion of the size.

If you get one and don't like it, just keep it as a spare. It's a tenth the price of a good dSLR outfit. There are more upmarket (but bigger and heavier) superzooms to consider as well.

What John G says is completely true. If you want¬* the full zoom range on a big sensor, you'll have to carry the glass to go with it.

Using¬*the 16:9 format seems strange to me; it just throws away pixels unless the sensor is 16:9. Why not use all of the sensor and then crop it later to suit your taste? But the Kodaks have it if you really want it,
I'll check out the Kodaks. I hadn't considered the superzooms that much. Always assumed they'd be bigger and figured a lens with a long zoom ratio would have compromises, specifically in the F-stop.

At the time I got the camera, it was one of the first 16:9 and I liked the idea of viewing pics, without cropping, on 16:10 Mac screens or on HDTVs.

I noticed on the LX3 that the 4:3 and 3:2 formats yield much higher pixels than the 16:9 mode. So I will see how they look. I haven't printed any pic yet and probably won't print too many.

So my primary way of viewing is probably on a computer screen or an HDTV.

As for the full sensor thing, my question was whether they'd cost-reduce it enough. SOunds like Panasonic is working on a product which would have interchangeable lenses but not the prism. Whether that reduces the size of the body remains to be seen.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:38 PM   #7

Announcement dates:

LX-1 20 July 2005
LX-2 19 July 2006
LX-3 21 July 2008

... it appears that deliveries were about 3 months later in September...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:47 PM   #8

Thanks for pulling those dates.

So a big show of some kind in July, I would gather?

I guess this would be a good a time as any to buy the LX3.