Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:15 AM   #1

I am from the UK and stubbled across this site which seems friendly and helpful so here goes.

I enjoy photography but haven't really advanced past a basic point and shoot digital camara. I did do an A level in photography so I have a understanding of composition etc etc.

I am now thinking of moving onto a DSLR camara and have recently been impressed with a friend's new Nikon D60 model. It seems to offer up great quality shots and is easy to use so I have narrowed it down to the D60, D80 and D90. The D90 is really more than I want to pay but I don't want to get into a position where I out grow the body quickly. If the D60 is "too entry level" then I would be prepared to wait and save for the D90. The D80 seems quite impressive also but as it is pretty old now I am not sure it even has all the onboard editing features of the D60.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Elvis-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:01 AM   #2

what style of photography are you interested in? Your answer will determine what camera and what lens features are important. The biggest knock on the D60 is the focus system. The D60 doesn't have a built in focus drive so a good number of older Nikon prime lenses and a good number of 3rd party lenses without focus motors won't autofocus on it. Additionally it has less focus points than the d80/d90. It's unclear what other focus attributes Nikon stripped from it (i.e. focus processing algorithms). Those focus and lens limitations are important to some types of photography but not impactful at all to others. The key here is a DSLR is a system. Most of us have limited funds so the key is to pay for the features YOU need not the features you don't. So, if your style of photography isn't impacted by the limitations the money you save on the body can be spent on lenses - thus you maximize your ROI. BUT, if your style is impacted by the limitations then saving a couple hundred on the body now hobbles your ability going forward.

So, what do you want to shoot?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:33 AM   #3

I'll be using itmainlyas an upgrade to my vivitar digital camera so as well as the standard holiday and family snaps I'd like to be able toshoot wildlife and landscapes. My dad takes great close up shots ofthe animalsat the local Wildlife and Wetlands park and I'd like to be able to get shots that I could blow up to around A3 size and still keep a clear sharp image.
Elvis-cam is offline   Reply With Quote