Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:06 PM   #1

Hi!, my canon A630 is experiencing problems an I would like to replace it, since there seems to be no replacement from canon for this model (the canon A650 is no longer available here), I came to these two models, Sx110 and Tz5 for its price, sizeand interesting zoom though I will miss the swivel lcd from A630 badly.

I have a few questions regarding these models:

-I notice none of them has movie editing options is this true? if it is, i can´t believe canon is downgrading their products since the inferior in category A630 has...

-What is the difference between Pana TZ5 and Tz50?, here there is only the Tz5 not the TZ50 do they have the same features?

-Can the TZ5 optical zoom during movies?

I tend to like better the TZ5 since i use video a lot and this model has HD movies and I think it has optical zoom duringvideo which the SX110 dosn´tbut I never had a Panasonic camera before and I wonder about IQsince the TZ5 has a smaller 1/1.33 sensor, Any suggestions? Thank you

flash110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:03 AM   #2

flash-

The difference between the TZ-5 and TZ-50 is pretty simple. The TZ-50 is a TZ-5 equipped with GPS. Yes, the TZ-5 can zoom during a video clip, but it has to refocus to the new zoom position, and this lack of continuous sharp focus, even though the focusing action is fairly quick, it is bothersome to some folks.

The other option is to purchase a new Canon A-630. Yes, they are still available at www.amazon.com.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:39 PM   #3

Hi Sarah, thanks for answering, unfortunately I live in South America and here it´s difficult to import electronic products because of taxes and extra payments, the only placewhere a newA650 is being soldit costs u$ 500 now when a year ago it costed as little as uS 280, to compare I payed my A630 uS 350 and I can geta brand new sx110 for u$320
Old Dec 20, 2008, 9:19 PM   #4

Well, Flash-

You did not care to list your location, so I had no way of knowing the problems that you face in South America.

I have lots of solutions for the USA, but very few, I am sorry to say, for South America right now. By the way, where are you located in South America??

From the information you give us, we attempt to craft a personal solution for you. So the more information you give us, the better the answer can be. The Canon SX-100 camera sells for around $(US) 200.00 here in the USA. Lacking any other option, that sounds like it might bea workable camera choice.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:31 PM   #5

thanks again Sarah,

I´m in Buenos Aires Argentina, a new sx100 is being sold here about the same price as the sx110 right now so I thinkprice isno reason to buy the previous model. Do you think the sx110 is a better choice over the Pana tz5? I really like the high definition video from the Tz5 but I really don´t know if it produces better quality videos/pictures since i notice the Tz5 has a considerably smaller sensor, I don´t know if Tz5 is the better choice overall
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:27 PM   #6

Flash-

The Canon SX-110 and the Panasonic TZ-5 use the same size imager. You can move up to the FZ-28 with a larger imager, and get better image quality. However the TZ5's HD video clips seem to be your attraction factor.

The TZ-5 is a good overall camera with a very small form factor. It is a more convenient camera, based on my personal experience, than the SX-110.

Sarah Joyce