Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:29 PM   #11

All,

Thank you so much for all your replies. It looks like we are going to stick with the Canon!

Terry, thanks also for the extra info on the XSi. Our 35mm cameras are EOS, so it sounds like our lenses will work fine. With that in mind, I think we can come up with the cost of the body only for the XSi.

I'm going to order it today!

Thanks again to everyone for all your help.

My husband and I wish you a Blessed Christmas.

Jenn
jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:50 PM   #12

The Canon XSi is a very good choice, and I know you'll enjoy using it.

Please come back and post some examples of your efforts.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:25 PM   #13

Jenn,

Be aware that the effective focal lengths of your existing lenses will be different when used on a DSLR, due to the crop factor. For example, your Tamron 28-80mm will now be a 42-120mm. Therefore, you will not have a wide angle lens.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:01 PM   #14

Is the crop factor only an issue with the wide angle lenses? I.e. the 80-200mm lens will have the same focal length because it is not aspherical?

Hun, I feel like I'm back to square one after your post . I had the XSi in my shopping cart all ready to purchase, but if the lenses I have aren't going to buy me the advantages the other posters mentioned should I reconsider again?

I have the money to go with the XSi even if I have to purchase a new lens to go with it. I guess I'm just hesitant to buy more camera then I really need. It's not like I'm going to be going professional with my pictures. I just want to have nice solid quality photos of my kids on a routine basis.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:27 PM   #15

OK, my husband told me I was being neurotic and to just go with the Canon XSi; so I did. We went ahead and got a starter lens with it, since our standard 50mm lens is very old. We got it with our original 35mm Canon Rebel about 15 years ago (before we were even married).

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post responses and help us out during this very busy season.

TCav, I promise to post a pic of the kids as soon as we get our camera and start having fun!

Jenn
Old Dec 21, 2008, 4:22 PM   #16

Sorry Jenn,

Wasn't trying to talk you out of the XSi - it's a very good camera. The crop factor will be the same on the majority of DSLR's, due to the fact that the sensors are smaller than the size of 35mm film. Your 80-200mm will now effectively be 120-300mm.

Good luck with your new cam - looking forward to those pics.

the Hun

Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:55 PM   #17

jenn wrote:
Quote:
Is the crop factor only an issue with the wide angle lenses? I.e. the 80-200mm lens will have the same focal length because it is not aspherical?
The focal lengths of your lenses won't change. The XSi, indeed most dSLRs have an image sensor that is smaller than an exposure on 35mm film, so the same lens will produce a narrower angle of view.

A 35mm film exposure is about 1.6 times larger than the image sensor in the XSi. So your 80-200mm lens onthe XSi will have an angle of view equivalent to a 128-320mm lens, your 28-80 will have an equivalent angle of view of a 45-128mm lens, and your 50 will be equivalent to an 80mm lens on a 35mm film camera. That gives you some good telephoto coverage but no wide angle lenses, so you should also get the 18-55 kit lens for the XSi. That will cover the typical stuff, plus it's stabilized.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:19 PM   #18

No problem Hun, thanks for the follow up. We did get the XSi with the 18-55mm lens. We also splurged on a tri-pack of filters as well as the battery grip (third party, which saved us quite a bit of money).

I have a lot to learn about the lenses. I guess that's my homework during my two week vacation.

Jenn
Old Dec 21, 2008, 7:57 PM   #19

Well Jenn, don't try to learn anything from me...as TCav pointed out, the crop factor for the XSi is 1.6, not 1.5. I guess I had the D60 in my head from your original post...duh...

the Hun

Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:03 AM   #20

jenn wrote:
Quote:
I have a lot to learn about the lenses. I guess that's my homework during my two week vacation.
The 50mm is a very nice lens, but it will have a narrower angle of view on the XSi than you're used to. It will be good for portraits of adults,and environmental portraits of children. The other lenses you've got are good, and when outdoors with your kids, I'm certain they'll come in handy. The 28-80 might work ok when indoors when you use the flash, but I'd leave that for the the 18-55 kit lens.