Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2008, 5:58 AM   #21
Super Moderator

Sarah, I think you possibly got the wrong end of the stick with a 100% crop. Here is a quick sample of what I mean and how it can help people make a decision.

Fully image taken with Canon 30D, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 ISO 1250 (I decided to use a shot which is quite old so I could keep with the concert theme hence it is on the 30D which almost never sees the light of day now and also the Sigma which I've replaced with the Canon 70-200 f2.8.)

100% Crop, so this is exactly a 1:1 representation of the image at full size (pixel peeping basically LOL) allowing us to see noise, sharpness etc.

The reason I say this is that very often posting a heavily reduced shot tells almost nothing about an individual camera as even with a basic camera when downsizing for web you can get a pretty good looking shot. There are many times when posting a photo at small sizes does help but camera quality isn't one of them.

As a point in case, here is a shot taken with the worst camera I've got, I will post the photo first and then tell you what it was taken on hehe.

So did anyone guess which basic camera this was taken using??

Answers on a postcard to...... OK just kidding, this was taken with the iPhone but at this size with a little cleaning up it is a not great but OK shot and not truly representative of the 2mp camera that the phone has.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:27 AM   #22

Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's strange, in the UK the entry level DSLR#s are fairly competitively priced, I believe it's because sales of them have increased a lot this year.

I still haven't been able to decide between the Sony and Nikon though. I like the way both of them work having messed around with them. I've looked at some sample shots, and they can both easily do excellent photos is used correctly.

There seems to be almost nothing to separate them.
bobbarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:50 AM   #23
Super Moderator

bobbarley wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. It's strange, in the UK the entry level DSLR#s are fairly competitively priced, I believe it's because sales of them have increased a lot this year.

I still haven't been able to decide between the Sony and Nikon though. I like the way both of them work having messed around with them. I've looked at some sample shots, and they can both easily do excellent photos is used correctly.

There seems to be almost nothing to separate them.
As long as you keep in mind that the Nikon is more limited in some of the lens options due to the focus motor issue then that's OK. For example if you decide you want a fast prime lens (fixed focal length) which is good for indoor/low light shooting such as a 50mm f1.7/1.8 then you can only get manual focus on the Nikon without spending about £300. With Sony you can get a 2nd hand minolta 50 f1.7 for about £40, with Canon you can get a brand new 50mm f1.8 for about £65. I use this lens if shooting weddings in low light not using flash, it is alsoa nice portrait lens.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now this focus issue is not something to worry about at all if you go for lenses that have focus motors and you will then be able to build your kit and move to newer, higher performance cameras if so desired in the future.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:59 AM   #24

Thanks Mark. Out of interest, if it were your choice of entry level DSLR, which would you go for?
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:26 PM   #25
Super Moderator

It is a hard one for sure. If I had to choose out of the D40 and the A200 then I would go A200 (as it is more similar spec to the Nikon D60 but still no focus motor in body), if you bring the Canon 1000D in then I would go that route as you gain better lens options and also the ability to add a battery grip which for me makes handling a whole lot more comfortable. Only problem with the 1000D is that it is £80 more than the D40 and £50 more than the A200.

Check out the review of the 1000D here at Steve's http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_..._rebel_xs.htmland also DPReview http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/The DPReview does a nice comparison against the D60, A200 and Olympus 420 which might be helpful.

No matter which option you go for you will be able to get good results and the ability to really learn more about photography. Also be warned a dSLR can take over you life, I've spent about £12,000 on kit in the last 3 years, spot thesingle man who likes to shoot silly things like sports where having high spec kit reallyhelps due to the extremeconditions.Then I started shooting weddings an portraits too so just 'had' to get more toys LOL.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:37 PM   #26

Everyone, thanks for your help, you've no idea how much it's appreciated. I've stumbled across a gold mine of photography information here. Everyone has been helpful from the off, and I'm amazed at just how willing everyone is to share the knowledge with amateurs.

If this is what I can expect, I'm sure I will love the hobby, and asking for help in the future
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Most of us are amateurs who are wannabePros, with some of us making a little pocket money from our hobby. Steve's is not the busiest forum but out of the places I go it is probably the friendliest and there is a lot of knowledge floating around. Let us know what you decide and post some shots to show how it is all going.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 1:50 PM   #28

I personally own and use the Sony A200 (my first D-SLR ever -- never shot a single frame of film)and I like everything about it. It has a very powerful built in flash and the image quality is good although it may not be as good as $5000 body. For the work that I do it is fast becoming a workhorse in my arsonal replacing the Fuji S9100 that I used for 18 month. I was able to get the Sony A200 for under $700 with the 18-70mm kit lens an addition singma 55-200 lens and 2 extra batteries for it. The signma lens is really nice in that it is pretty sharp and focuses pretty fast for me. Also with the A200 the battery life is far better than the company and manual state it to be.

I use the camera mostly to shoot fire-rescue related stuff as well as large community gatherings and events for a local newspaper and the pictures have come out very well in the newspaper.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 3:24 PM   #29

Mark-

Here is that 100% crop you wanted to see. Please tell us the camera used on your mystery photo. Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 3:32 PM   #30

I think he said it was an iPhone :|