Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:04 PM   #1

I have had four Film type SLR's (Two Pentax SPII's, Olympus AE1 and a Nikon F1) So I am not a novice Photographer. I have been using a Sony DSC-H5 for about the last year and for a point and shoot camera it's an excellent camera. That being said, I want more, I want the versatility of a DSLR. I am leaning towards the Sony A350 it has a great deal of great features but I would like to hear the impressions of this camera from the photographers that are using it,. What do you like or better yet dislike about this camera and in retrospect would you buy it again?
Attached Images

MrEdinarea51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:39 PM   #2

Ipurchased the Sony A-350. Being unhappy with the IQ of the camera, I returned it to the seller.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3

Thank you Sarah, what did you end up buying and are you happy with that? Pardon my inquisitiveness but this is exactly the kind of info that I am looking for.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:28 AM   #4

MrEdinarea51 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Sarah, what did you end up buying and are you happy with that? Pardon my inquisitiveness but this is exactly the kind of info that I am looking for.
It was my decision to go with the Olympus format. A much more reliable and sure format.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:14 PM   #5

I thought more Sony A350 owners would jump in and tell what it is they like about the camera (there is a number of things to like about this camera, depending on what you are using it for). I don't own one (I shoot Pentax), but wanted to ask if you still have the Pentax lenses that went with the Super Program cameras you had. If so, they would work with any of the Pentax dSLR cameras and could save you some money.

I did take a look at the Sony. The main thing I didn't like about the ergonomics is the viewfinder - it's smaller because Sony needed the room for their separate live view sensor (most other cameras use the main sensor for their live view options, which have some significant disadvantages). I have live view on one of my Pentax cameras and have used it twice in the almost year I've owned it - certainly not enough to give up a good viewfinder for. Make sure you can live with it (remember you will spend a great deal of time looking through it) before buying one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:48 PM   #6

Thanks Mtn Gal, I appreciate the info. The live view was not a large priority for me as I know it's difficult to hold an SLR steady with a long lens, without having to holding it 12-18" away from your face. However it may be handy for over the crowd shots. I'm on the search again it seems.

Oh by the way all of the old SLR gear was sold.