Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:50 PM   #1

I've narrowed it down to these 2 cameras, I would welcome any advice before buying. Thanks
xbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 8:06 PM   #2

Without a single doubt, IMO the FZ-28 is the clear winner. If you are into low light level photography, the FZ-28 wins hands down. Please take a good look at this photo sample. This is a no flash, ISO 800 shot with the FZ-28.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 1:44 AM   #3

I own the FZ28. I like it a lot. It's relatively light and small for a super zoom. It has a very short shutter lag when prefocused. It has a pretty good burst mode. It does, as Sarah states, take decent pictures at ISO 800, pretty remarkable considering it's getting 10 megapixel images froma fairly small sensor.

The SX-10 does go a little farther at the telephoto end and does have a hot shoe for Canon's external flashes. However, it's been reported that chromatic aberration (purple fringing) is a problem in some of its images. It uses AA batteries which is either an advantage or bother depending on how you see it.

They're both good cameras, but I think I prefer the FZ-28.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:22 AM   #4

I've had the SX10 for two months and have used it almost daily. I also have had the S2 for 3 years which worked well for me. The FZ28 will give you a bit better quality image in low light conditions.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 8:10 PM   #5

'Just to put a cap on it. The FZ-28 definitely exceeds the image quality and the .jpeg images of the FZ-18 by a long shot. We now, in the FZ-28,haveavailable to us a serious point and shoot camera that nears but does not overcome the challenge presented by really high quality consumer level DSLR cameras.

But that is to be expected, as the FZ-28 sells for a mere fraction of what the average consumer level DSLR camera sells for. So it is up to us to enjoy the Panasonic FZ-28 for what it is. A very capable ultra zoom camera, that can give us excellent image quality in virtually any photo situation, from bright sunlight to light level shooting. Here is another FZ-28 photo sample. It shows very well what a point and shoot digital camera now selling in the USA for around $(US) 250.00 can do.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2008, 8:59 PM   #6

To put quality into perspective, the DMC-FZ28 delivers a 5mb raw image, whereas the Canon 50D delivers a 20mb raw image.

However, the DMC delivers pretty a pretty good image at a fraction of the cost of the Canon 50D.

The DMC-FZ28 costs less one lens someone would likely buy to attach to their 50D.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:45 PM   #7

Terry-

Thanks for even more praise for the Panasonic FZ-28. Yes, you are so correct, Terry! It is a rather amazing camera, Here is another photo at ISO 800 without any flash.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:36 PM   #8

Have you heard about the great external flash that works perfectly with the FZ-28? Its called the DigiSlave 3000 and it costs about $(US) 100.00. That is at least 1/2 the price of the Canon EX-430 flash that works with the Canon SX-10. Just one more reason to purchase the Panasonic FZ-28 camera.

Take a look at the attached photo, please. Canon cannot do that!It is really good and veryamazing.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 25, 2008, 2:25 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated and I've ordered the FZ28 as it seems to have the edge on the Canon. Happy Holidays to all.
xbrit is offline   Reply With Quote