Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:26 AM   #1

Howdy,
I currently own a Nikon 8008s with a number of lenses. Autofocus and a 2X manual extender. What is the cheapest DSLR that I can use these lenses on, even if not to their full capability or compatibility? Thanks for any learned help.
pascal211

pascal211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:32 AM   #2

I will assume your lenses are not Af-s lenses, as the 8008 is an older camera. These lenses will mount on any current Nikon DSLR camera. However, you will lose AF on the D40/40x/60 because of the lack of an internal focus motor in those bodies. Best bang for your buck is probably a D80, which is recently discontinued, but still readily available brand new. These lenses will work perfectly on the D80 (and up...D90/300 etc), and the D80 will offer more advanced features.

Be aware, with the crop factor, your current lenses will not be as wide as you're used to on film SLR bodies. For example, a 28-80 lens ( a common kit lens on SLR bodies) will have an apparent field of view of a 42-120. So you'll probably want to get the kit lens that comes with whatever body you choose to retain the wide end. Kit lenses are cheap, but Nikon's are quite usable and a great value for the price.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 2:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply rjseeny,
The lenses say Nikkor AF on the Nikon Lenses and AF on the tokina. I am also using a non-autofocus Nikon 2X that requires I use manual settings and focusing. Does this information confirm your previous diagnoses? Thanks again
pascal211
BTW Happy Holidays
Old Dec 27, 2008, 3:40 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Yes, those lenses will NOT autofocus on the D40 or D60.

They will on the D80, D90, and up the range.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:24 AM   #5

Thanks again for some learned advice. It appears as if the D80 is the least expensive quality alternative. Hows the U.K. this time of year? Anyway take care.
pascal211