Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:20 PM   #1

Hi All-
I am a newbie posting here but I have followed this forum since its inception. In fact it was the review of the NIkon Coolpix here that swayed me to get the 990.
I have decided it is time for me to upgrade the camera. Mainly because I got tired of buying batteries for the thing! It goes about 2 hours and then...time for new batteries.
What I really love about the camera is its macro capabililty for one..(It is my main Ebay Camera) and 2, the picture it produces is very accurate in terms of color and tone. I know that I can fix this in photoshop but the picture that is in the LCD screen is exactly the same in terms of color and brightness, contrast as the downloaded picture. Also when using the camera there does not seem to be any distortion of the sides in macro like I get with other cameras. I know I am not describing it quite right but if I take a picture of a square box the sides are still straight. With the other cameras they tend to not be straight at times and I have to do extensive photoshop.
In the past I have used the Olympus Camedia C-3030. Nice but the pictures all had a yellow cast. I set the white balance correctly...it just seemed a little off.
I have also used a Panasonic Lumix FZ28. The downloaded pictures come out a little dark and have to be lightened up.
So I am looking for either a DSLR or a DSLR with interchangeable lenses.
Any ideas? I haven't been in the market for a few years but I would like an upgrade to the awesome Nikon 990! Pricing around $400-800?
Elmogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:57 PM   #2

Quote:
I have decided it is time for me to upgrade the camera. Mainly because I got tired of buying batteries for the thing! It goes about 2 hours and then...time for new batteries.
Why not simply buy some Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries and a charger? Your batteries will last way more than 2 hours and, when they finally expire, you can pop in a fresh pair that you've already charged. The Eneloops won't lose their charge when not being used, unlike most rechargeable AA's, and can be recharged 1,000 times.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 8:40 PM   #3

Hello. Use to have NIMH rechargeables and they still didn't last very long.
I know that the newer cameras have much better battery life so I wanted to go that route. Also it would be nice to be able to have something a little more substantial to hold in my hand. A nice DSLR with great macro capabilities would be preferred. Thanks for the reply however!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:58 AM   #4

If you want a DSLR that takes great macros, be prepared to buy the camera and kit lens combination and a dedicated macro lens, which will cost at least an additional $200. Since your upper limit is $800, this leaves $600 for the camera/kit lens combination.

For $600 you can choose among several intro-level DSLR/lens combos - The Canon Rebel XS, Sony A200 or A300, Nikon D40 or D60, Olympus E420 or E520, and the Pentax K2000 or K200d. They all have the capability of producing great looking pictures. The Sonys, the Olympus E520 and the Pentax's have optical image stabilization built in the camera body. The Canon and Nikons don't have OIS in the body, but include it in some of their lenses. The Canon, Sony A300 and Olympus E520 have "live view" which enables you to frame your picture with the LCD. The Pentax K200d is weather sealed.

I have no idea which one is the best - I'd be happy with any one of them. I'm sure others posting to this forum will have their own ideas as to which is the best camera to buy.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 8:41 AM   #5

dSLR cameras require a separate macro lens to get true macro capability (where a 1 cm object will occupy 1 cm on the sensor - 1:1). As Andy indicated, you'd need to buy a separate lens for that capability, but I think most macro lenses run around $300 and up. There are cheaper ways of doing macro photography but they involve more effort and knowledge about what you are doing to be successful.

However, most kit lenses can focus pretty close - what are you taking pictures of for ebay? If it's coins, then I would guess you would need a macro lens, but for most larger objects, like collectibles etc. you might be able to get away with using the kit lens.

Also, the in-camera flashes aren't the greatest, so if your primary use is indoors, product photography, you'll want to get a separate flash.

For a basic set-up, take look at the Pentax K2000. It's sold as a kit with a basic external flash along with the camera and kit lens - B&H price is $594. You could add a dedicated macro lens later if you find you need to photograph smaller objects than the kit lens is capable of.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6

Thanks for everyones comments. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Happy Holidays all!