Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:48 PM   #1

To all,

I was wondering if perhaps someone would have some guidance to offer, there is alot of info out there on camera's and to be honest I could use some pointers towards a new purchase.
Currently we only have a 4mp Canon A530 and it's not really serving us well anymore. We have the following requirements:
1. Take quick/fast photos with minimum/no delay
2. Work well generally in poor lighting (home has poor lighting)
3. Lithium rechargeable batteries I think would be preferred.
4. Catch action shots of a 1.5 year old without blur

The reason I have number 1 and 2 is that we have a 1.5 year old son and trying to capture the special moments properly. Unfortunately with our current camera we often have a 5 second wait before the picture is taken and it's hard enough to get them to post at that age.
I am not sure if I should be moving into the SLR's or not? I was looking at the Canon S790 IS but also camera's like the Sony A300K/200K, Panasonic DMZFZ28K, Sony DSC-H50 and the Canon SX110 IS. Boxing week here has some decent deals, looks like the one I missed was the Rebel XS with 2 lenses for 399.
Suggestions? I am located in Canada and some pricing can be much more than the US, so I am looking for something justifiable cost wise but willing to pay what is required.
srgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2008, 8:13 PM   #2

Mr. Gallan-

Please do take a good look at the thread entitled: "How Far Up the Camera Chain Do We need to Go." You will see that thread deals with both with existing light photography and photographing young children. There are three different camera selections discussed in great detail there. Take a look there, and then we can discuss your own photo situation in much greater detail.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3

Thanks that was a great thread and the requirements are very identical and I think it answered most of my questions.

I don't think either myself or my wife will ever pick up photography as a hobby or even take a couple of classes on the subject for the next few years. I guess after reading your suggestions one of the most important things I would need to find is a camera that has great auto functionality and perhaps a sports mode?

I know very little of SLR's so if they require much complicated manual control I assume it's best to stay away unless it's something that the basics can be picked up easily by average joe techie. I could not find the particular Kodak you referenced in any retailers in Canada online that I use or local, I was able to find the Sony DSC-H10B and it's big brother DSC-H50 readily available although and on sale currently.

So my quest I would assume is for the best auto capable camera with a quick first shot?
srgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4

Good Morning, Mr Gallan-

The two Sony Cameras would be well worth investigating. They both have a sports/action mode and they operate well in the Automatic Mode. The H-50 model is more able photographically, and it does have an electronic viewfinder, but it is also a bit bigger in terms of physical size. The H-10, as you have seen from my photo, is physically smaller but, it does have a degree of chunckiness to it. So it would go easily into a coat pocket. It does not haveany viewfinder, so that all photos are framed using the LCD screen on the rear of the camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote