Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:49 PM   #1

I'm in the market for a long zoom bridge camera, my aim is to buy the longest zoom I can afford while keeping a good picture quality, and I mean natural looking colors and clean, crisp images which are not too distorted. I value a nimble interface which allows me to quickly adjust the camera while in the semi-auto/manual modes without having to dive into dozens of submenus. Many features, full adjustability and customization, that I like too.

The S2000HD attracts me mainly because of the 15x tele, but overall I had the impression it's not as good as the SX110.

Frankly, the 10x of the SX110 doesn't really turn me on, and if it was really worth it, I could think about getting the Canon SX10 or the Pana FZ28, though the latter runs off proprietary batteries, something I do not really like.

I don't switch cameras every 6 months so this one will have to last a bit... which one would you recommend?
FeatherZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2008, 2:53 PM   #2

Featherz-

The Fuji 2000HD is most probably the better camera. However, I have seen several user reports that they felt the camera was physically too small, and therefore, hard to handle confidently.

I had a chance to handle the Fuje 200HD and did not have that feeling. However, as a woman with small hands, I had no problems at all. I tried to visualize a man with large hands and I couldunderstand how that "too small" comment was possible.

Therefore, please be sure to actually handle the Fuji 2000HD before purchasing it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:10 PM   #3

I've played around with the Fuji S2000hd quite a lot and I really like its feel. It's small but it has a good right hand grip and a bright LCD. Its viewfinder is pretty small, but that's par for the course for superzoom cameras.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:14 AM   #4

Featherz-

The Canon SX-10 IS is ISO limited to around ISO 250 max. It does well outdoors, or when used with an external flash like the Canon EX-430, so if good photos at higher ISO settings (ISO 400 to 800) is your thing the FZ-28 is a much better choice. Here is a FZ-28 photo sample at ISO 800. You might also want to take a look at the thread called, "Ultrazoom or DSLR" for some more info.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:07 PM   #5

Sarah I would have certainly bought the S2000 but luckily it was possible to find an arrangement and have the money back. Luckily because prices -in the shop I was talking about- are crazy compared to the 'net, to the point that the FZ28 was rivaling DSLRs :shock: and the S2000 was at least just as expensive as the FZ28 online! guess I'm getting too much used to the online retailers

Yesterday I've been reading through more stuff and now definitely going towards the FZ28 - though your comment really comes at the right time, just today I saw a Nikon D40 'double zoom' bundle which comes with a 18-55mm and 55-200 mm lens. The camera seems quite nice, I only had enough time to check the review on I-R. I'm gonna check out the thread as soon as I have the chance.

Even if the D40 is so tempting, the FZ28 is so much more affordable that in the end, the price could be the deciding factor.

Thanks for all the help so far
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:51 PM   #6

Featherz-

There is always another camera, or another tempting challenge just around the corner. I always stress to my classes: move to a DSLR when you are really ready and have enough money to make it worthwhile. Because in the final analysis it will require more money than you really think.

In the meantime for all of us, whose pockets are not so deep, there are some really good ultrazooms, like the Panasonic FZ-28, outthere that can more than adequately fill the bill.

I hope you are enjoying a great evening.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:32 PM   #7

My thoughts exactly, and today I'd been around for some post-xmas shopping and took a peek at the price of the lenses.

TBH Nikon giving away the body + a couple of AF-S lenses all for the price of just one single lens (i.e. ~500 €) has to be a sort of dumping strategy to undercut the other manufacturers - it's the razor&blade model: once you buy your first step in a system, you are effectively locked in and bound to keep investing in it.

I guess the Micro 4/3 is more or less the same story?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 5:01 PM   #8

Featherz

Your shopping trip/investigation figured it all out quite nicely. An yes, I am also afraid the Micro4/3 will be more of the same with perhaps slightly altered music. You made a good observation!

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:17 AM   #9

IMO - Fuji shots better.
after IC replacement[upgrading?] for adding HD-recording capability, Fuji eleminates most serious weakines of previous model S1000 - inadequate [2 datastream and firmware-required horsepower]IC and shooting S2000 almost pleasure as S700.
SkyShoot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:11 PM   #10

Skyshoot-

I agree that the Fuji S-2000 is a good upgrade to the Fuji S-1000, but in terms of features and photo quality, the Panasonic FZ-28 still remains the better choice.

Sarah Joyce