Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2008, 8:53 PM   #1

I bought a 590is for my wife this Christmas. We have already taken it back, but not because we didn't like it. It lost all of our images taken on Christmas day! Apparently, according to the Circuit City guy, this is a problem with the camera. Also, we found the recycle time on the flash to be painfully slow. We are trying to capture moments of some active boys here (2 and 5). So, before I replace the 590, I want to get some opinions. I found the W150 at Target for $149 and know it has also received some good reviews. Any other suggestions based on the following?

We primarily take pics of the kids. We really can't get enough of them.

Most are taken inside.

We don't have to have a "super manual" camera, but my wife has taken some classes and I want her to have the ability to play with some limited settings if she wants to do so. She tells me she probably will not want to do so.

The kids are in constant motion.

I want to stay around $150 or so. Don't be afraid to offer up something a little more expensive. I am willing to shop very carefully and am willing to wait a little bit for prices to drop.

Thanks,

Tim
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:11 PM   #2

The A590 IS has had excellent reviews, and should provide great value for your money, plus provide the manual controls most camera enthusiasts crave. However, if your wife does not feel she wants or needs the manual controls, then consider replacing the A590 IS with the new A2000 IS. It has excellent reviews, but no longer includes the manual controls on older A series models. It is selling on Amazon for around $169 right now.

Steve's lists the A2000 IS among the "Best" in the entry level models.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

The flash recycle time for the A2000 IS is also supposed to be shorter than earlier A series models with only two AA batteries. You should also consider using rechargeable NiMH batteries (Eneloops). They tend to be more powerful and hold their charge longer between uses.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 9:59 PM   #3

Sonys are generally quicker than Canon. To get speed and manual control the price will go over $200.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:58 PM   #4

The picture quality of the Sony W150 may not be as good as the Canon A590is or the A2000, but it does have a much faster flash recycle time. The Sony W150 is a high quality camera and for $150 it's a great buy.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:03 PM   #5

I gave a Canon A-590 to our daughter for Christmas and the camera is perfect and the photos are gorgeous. So please don't discount the A-590. We were using 2500mah rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries and the flash recycle time was no problem at all.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 8:45 AM   #6

Flash recycle time will vary, depending on output. If you are shooting at the maximum flash distance, the recycle time will be longer. According to Canon, the recycle time for the A590IS is 10 seconds or less, assuming a battery voltage of 3.0V. Now since a NiMH AA cell is only 1.2V, and the camera only takes 2 batteries, you wind up with only 2.4V to operate the flash.

Imaging-resource tested the camera flash performance at maximum output (like any good test should), and came up with a recycle time of 10.5 seconds.

No matter which one you believe, you're going to see recycle times around 10 seconds when shooting at the maximum distance, which is only 11 feet at wide angle and 7.2 feet when zoomed in (auto ISO)...that is painfully slow.

I'm not sure about the W150, but I-R tested the W170, and claims a flash recycle time of 11.62 seconds at max output.

I think this is somewhat typical of the performance you can expect within your price range...think about moving up.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7

Thank you all for the responses. I have read the forums for a long time before joining and the quality is always wonderful.

I think we are going to give the 590 another shot with some higher end batteries since we did like the camera, but not the fact that it lost all of our images. Obviously, it was a defective unit. If that doesn't work, I will just start the buy, try, return process until we find one that works for us.

Tim
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8

If you're going to go with the A590is, I strongly suggest you use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries and an Eneloop charger. They have plenty of power, they last a long time, they don't lose their charge between uses (unlike most rechargeable AA's), and they can be recharged 1000 times.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:51 PM   #9
dai

Please read my post on this forum comparing the A590, SD1100, and the SD770.

Yes, you are correct, the A590 has too much shutter delay that you will lose a good photo opportunity. We are not taking pics of trees, we are taking pics of humans! Big difference. Don't believe all the so called 'excellent reviews' written by the pros. Many of them are on the "take" and will write whatever the wealthy billion dollar manufacturer wants them to write as long as the reviewer gets to keep a couple of cameras for free (of course, they will never admit this to the audience!)

Read the user reviews on amazon.

dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:21 PM   #10

Mr. Dai-

I have only one question for you: Do you actually own a Canon A-590 camera?

I do own and use an A-590 camera and I don't have any complaint about shutter delay. The A-590 which I purchased for $(US) 108.00 is an excellent compact camera with great image quality. It was never intended to be a pocket camera.

Edit: I see from another of your posts that you have purchased and are debating returning your A-590. However, of the three cameras that you purchased, the A-590 takes the best photos and video.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote