Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:30 AM   #11

dman-

The FS-5 and the FX-28 should have the same color pallette. So I don't see that as an issue. The difference between the FS-5 and the FZ-28 is the Fz-28's ability to (1) zoom more and (2) to take photos under lower light conditions without showing much noise.

I read over Steve's professional review of the FS series cameras and one of their characteristics is to show some noise even at low ISO settings. As you have seen from the photos that I have posted from the FZ-28, the colors are good and noise is not a deadly factor.

So you should be sure that the FZ-28 does not pose any problems getting through Security before purchasing the FZ-28. If there are no problems, then the FZ-28 is a much better and more useful camera for you.

Here is another FZ-28 photo sample. Again this sample was taken at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:34 AM   #12

dman-

Now here is a photo sample from the Panasonic TZ-5. Its not quite as good quality-wise as the FZ-28, and the TZ-5 has less zoom and entirely different lens that is somewhat slower. However, it might be easier to get through Security, as it is, physically a good deal smaller.

Please check-out the sample photo and tell me what you think, please.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2008, 6:15 PM   #13

ya, def. a big difference there(between the tz 5 and fz 28). i am pretty close on getting the fz 28. but i was curouise since the new fl3 has a bigger sensor if that means it would take better photos in low light than the fz28?
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:04 PM   #14
Super Moderator

dman777 wrote:
Quote:
ya, def. a big difference there(between the tz 5 and fz 28). i am pretty close on getting the fz 28. but i was curouise since the new fl3 has a bigger sensor if that means it would take better photos in low light than the fz28?
I honestly wouldn't use such photos to make a decision on, not that I'm saying it is not the right decision, as I said earlier the benefits of the fz28 over the tz5 are there in the lens for sure but it is worth looking at full size photos in the same lighting rather than heavily reduced shots in different lighting conditions with different settings.

Steve has reviews the TZ50 (TZ5 with wifi capabilities) and the FZ28 and uses a standard studio setup for easy comparison at full size (you can tell littleabout camera quality when you take a 9 or so mp image to about 0.2mp)

TZ50 sample photos http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...0_samples.html

FZ28 sample photos http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...0_samples.html

With the FZ28 you have samples with differing levels of noise reduction too which are worth looking at.

A major reason I would go with the FZ28 over the TZ5 is that you have manual control over your shooting which is ideal for what you want to do, the TZ5 will guess pretty much everything which is a pain and the reason I only use my TZ5 as a snap taking camera for anything more serious I use one of my dSLR options.

I've been trying to find some info on the FL3 but failed completely, do you have a link to anything that I can look at for you. If a camera hasa larger sensor then generally there is less noise or it could be that they have crammed in more pixels.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:05 PM   #15

Help me out, please, dman-

What is "fl3." It would help if I had a full or better description. Thanks!

Sahar Joyce
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:05 PM   #16

I'my sorry! duh....it's the Panasonic LX3 that I am speaking of(not fl3).
Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:00 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Hehe, that makes much more sense :-)

The LX3 is an interesting camera and does perform well at high ISO settings and has a very bright lens letting you get faster shutter speeds or use the same shutter speeds and get lower ISP settings in the same lighting conditions. The major downside of this camera is the comparatively short lens, it is 4.6x shorter than than the TZ5 and 7.2x shorter than the FX28.

I've not had any hands on with the LX3 but the reviews I've read make it look like a good photographers tool but unless you are getting close to the action you will only be getting wide stage shots rather than shooting individuals.

This shot was taken from quite close to the stage and at 236mmusing adSLR but this gives an idea of the framing you can get and how much zoom is needed. One thing you won't be able to do with a P&S is get the background blurred as here so the mic stand behind the artists head would be very sharp as would the lights.

Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:44 AM   #18

Wow, the quality of that picture is superb. I probably could afford a DSLR around $500.00, but combine that with the cost of the lens and it would be way out of budget. Just curious, what brand and model DSLR was that? Is the size bigger than the FZ 28?
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:49 AM   #19
Super Moderator

That was with a Canon 30D and a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens so not a compact option and not a cheap one either in comparison to the options we have been discussing. As mentioned I just wanted to give an idea of the length lens needed. As for quality you are not going to beat a dSLR and good lens setup but ease of mobility then it is not a good option LOL. I usually carry 2 dSLRs, 5 lenses and 2 flash guns, not likely to get into a gig without prior arrangement with that .
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:51 AM   #20

dman-

The Panasonic LX-3 is a great camera but it has almost no zoom. As I understand your needs for concert type photography, you are going to need a great lens and some zoom. The FZ-28 has a great Leica lens and the zoom you need at a price that works for you.

Good zoom let's you zoom in on one person and isolate him or her for your photo. Look at this FZ-28 photo. Remember the FZ-28 costs less than $(US) 250.00 here in the USA.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images