Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:46 AM   #1

What is the main differences(software options aside) between the Panasonic TZ5 and FZ28? The only thing I can see it the FX28 has 18 zoom while the TZ5 has 10x zoom, with the FZ28 being a larger device. Am I missing anything?
dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:09 AM   #2

dman-

The lens on the FZ-28 is also faster (larger aperture) than the TZ-5. Both are good cameras. However, if a low light level shooting environment is your thing, the FZ-28 IMO is better. I own both cameras. here is an FZ-28 sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:27 AM   #3

Can I get a faster focus on the FZ28 in low light situations zoomed?

It looks like this camera is to big for the pockets. When I go to concerts or music festivals I like to take pics(hence the 18x zoom would be great). Typically, is this sized camera allowed at such events?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4

dman-

Not really being a rock concert attendee, I can not give you any specific details on passing through security. However, the FZ-28 is substantially smaller than the average DSLR camera.

You ought to go a camera retailer and check out the FZ-28 so you can make up your own mind.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:03 PM   #5

dman777 wrote:
Quote:
Can I get a faster focus on the FZ28 in low light situations zoomed?

It looks like this camera is to big for the pockets. When I go to concerts or music festivals I like to take pics(hence the 18x zoom would be great). Typically, is this sized camera allowed at such events?
Have you considered the Fuji F100fd? It's pocket-sized, has a 5x optical zoom, and takes pretty good photos in low light (for a point and shoot).

Here are some sample concert photos:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?z=t&ss...ert&m=tags
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Concert photography is always a tough area to shoot as you are generally working in pretty low light and P&S cameras are not overly strong in these conditions.

Out of the two the FX28 is probably the better choice as Sarah mentions it has the faster lens (wider aperture allows more light into the camera) so you can get a fast shutter speed for the same ISO which is good as when you start to push ISO speeds on the smaller sensors in P&S cameras you get a lot of noise. The same goes for the FX28 over the mentioned Fuji with the 28 having a wider aperture and a lot more zoom. Having a larger aperture will help with focus as to get a good focus you need more light so you are likely to get reduced hunting.

What sort of concerts are you attending (higher end concerts will have better lighting allowing the camera to work much better), and what what are you hoping to do with the photos when taken, screen, email, web or print. If it is print then be aware that you are not going to do overly well with any P&S option at the high ISO settings.

I would also consider doing some research into what cameras can be taken to the types of event you are looking at attending as this could make a huge difference and if you can't take a certain type of camera in then don't put your money in that direction.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 6:59 PM   #7

I bought the Panasonic Luminx FS5 because I really love the colors it outputs. It makes the picture colors look natural, not a fake over contrast. I also like the picture quality/personality of the caemra's photos. If I bought the FZ 28, I will be selling the FS5. Is it safe to assume the FZ 28 would have the same color qaulity/characteristic as the FS5?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:19 PM   #8

Congratulations on your new camera, dman. Post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:22 PM   #9

no no , I haven't a bought a new camera yet. I've had the FS5 for awhileand I want to sell it to buy a better camera. Hence, replace the FS5 with the FZ 28. I just want to make sure the FZ 28 photo's will have the same charastics that I liked of the FS5, like the color palllate of the FS5 is really good and I am hoping it would the same for the FZ 28.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:18 AM   #10

Just curious....which would give better picture qaulity...the fz 28 or the new fl3?