Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2008, 7:22 PM   #1

I am looking for a good compact, camera in the price range of 150-200£.

I am not a professional photographer but I am looking for one with good image quality (8/10) and which can shoot decent photos in dim light and during night.
I am not looking for a camera with large zoom but if I get it as an extra feature along with the features I am looking for in the price range of around 150-200£ then I would be happy with that.

I travel once or twice in a month and I'll be mostly taking pictures of myself along with my friends in different locations. I would also capture sceneries but that is not the main purpose of buying the cam. I'll not make big prints and mostly I would store the images in my comp to preserve the memories.

I did take a look at many reviews and I have these compact cameras in mind.

Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ5
Canon Digital IXUS 870 IS
Fujifilm Finepix F100fd

I have also taken Fujifilm Finepix F100fd into consideration because many suggested it for its good dim light images. Also let me know if there are any other good cameras which will fit me.

I am almost happy with Panasonic TZ5 with its wide features but the only concern is how good will it perform when I do outdoor shooting in dim light ?

Since I wanna capture a few places during the night and I am looking for a decent quality while taking night shots, I am not quite sure whether TZ5 will perform well in dim light.

Thanks in advance
Lavanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:18 PM   #2

Lavanya-

With all due respect: With the specifications ("...I am looking forcamera with good image quality (8/10) and which can shoot decent photos in dim light and during night...") that you has asked for in your post, none of the camera you have listed are really up to your challenge. Really to approach the challenge you have issued with probably take a consumer level DSLR camera, and they are neither small nor compact.

A camera like the Panasonic TZ-5 will take photos in dim light (please define more exactly your term, "dim light") and at night. However, to be very honest with you, those TZ-5 photos will not hit 8/10. If you can accept photos that hit 5/10 or 4/10, then the TZ-5 or its twin (without the video capability) the TZ-4 might be a possible choice. The same is true with the Fuji F-100 camera.

Unfortunately, the Canon SD-870 IS you have listed will not even come up to the 2/10 level.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:12 PM   #3

lavanya,

Here's an idea of what the F100fd can do in low light...

http://nickbland.zenfolio.com/p904983449

The other two on your list can't come close.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:39 PM   #4

Rinnie-

Thanks for doing the research. Actually, after looking at Nick Bland's photos I was rather positvely impressed with what the Fuji F-100 could do. You will notice that the EXIF data has been stripped from these photos.

I would make the guess that his photos were taken on a tripod with the aperture pretty well stopped down to get the depth of field exhibited. As I understood the OP's request, she was asking about photos that were taken hand held.

Bland's photos are beautiful, but they are taken on a tripod and he is, I would guess, a very experienced photographer as well. I attached one of Bland's photos for reference.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah, I've removed the photo as it was copyright the photographer, anyone wanting to view the photo can do so at http://nickbland.zenfolio.com/p90498...adeaf#h45adeaf

Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:46 PM   #5

Rinnie-

Here is a photo I took inside the Pike Street Market in Seattle. It was handheld, but I was up against a post to stabilize the camera. The ISO was set to ISO 800. So I guess either the TZ-5 or the F-100 could cover the OP's photo needs as she will only be making small prints or just using computer copies.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:25 AM   #6

Thank You very much for the suggestions.

I'm planning to take some photos in dim light while shopping at comet or currys and would be testing their clarity by transferring to my laptop .
Lavanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Most people are probably looking at those store names and wondering what you are talking about LOL. Good to have someone else from the UK on here.

I've really not tried using my TZ5 in low light no flash environments so will be interested to see how you get on.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 1:47 PM   #8

Mark-

Curry's was a regular stop during our shopping day for my husband and I, every time we made our turnaround day in Dover. We used to do it every 14 days for 6 months at a time.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:11 PM   #9

cool photo of the market, it turned out great.

JessR is offline   Reply With Quote