Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:23 PM   #1

Hi all. I currently have a Fuji s6900 pro zoom and have been very pleased with it. I need to update but I'm not sure if I should stick with a bridge camera or get something like the sony alpha 200. I was about to go for the sony until I realised it didn't have external flash capability (which I need for long range flash photos). Can someone tell me which low priced dslr, or similar priced bridge (£200-£250 range), have an external flash socket (not just a hot-shoe)? Many thanks...Stew.
stewron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:44 PM   #2

In addition to a good selection of OEM and third party on- and off-camera wired and wireless flashes, Sony also has adapters for different flash and lighting systems. See http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=32340
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:10 PM   #3

Stew-

Yes, 4 to 5 years ago we saw both a pc coneection point aswell as a hot shoe on certain cameras. Even Kodak had it on a couple of cameras with the dual connection feature. But those days are pretty much gone. What you have in their place is hot shoe inserts that provide a normal hotshoe and a pc connection within the same insert.

However, just about everyone agrees that Nikon really has the true flash leadership. It was Nikon who originated the Commander and Slave flash duo that were wireless. Yes, Sony has come on strong, but IMO, Nikon is still king of the hill.

Please tell us more about your specialized requirements.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:18 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I have an older style hammer head flash on a flash bracket that I still like and gives excellent results for long range stuf. That's why I use the seperate flash sync socket on my current fuji and which the 9600 also has. I just wantd to compare the newer 9600 unit with any other similar bridge/dslr cameras that aslo has a seperate flash sync socket. But finding cameras with that feature is proving difficult. Thanks.
Attached Images

stewron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:59 PM   #5

Stew-

You are exactly correct. The best solution for a consumer level DSLR camera is to you the stack strategy. That way you will have both a pc connection and a normal hot shoe. It is an accessory add-on, but it sure comes in handy!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:10 PM   #6

OK, StewRon-

Here is what I have in mind.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:19 AM   #7

Household PC Sync Cords!?!?!

When I had my house built, I had 14 locations wired with three RG6 coaxial video cables and 2 CAT6 twisted pair cables. It did not occur to me to have my house wired for flash.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:59 AM   #8

The Pentax K20 has a sync socket (I've never used it - flash isn't something I understand or have any experience with). It's also dropped way down in price here in the States. It would be worth looking at if the prices are similar in G.B. but it's always sounded like Nikon was the way to go if you are interested in flash.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote