Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:14 PM   #11

Mary Rose-

I am currently using 6 Panasonic cameras and I have never had a single problem with any of them. If it would provide some peace of mind, buy a square trade warranty (www.squaretrade.com). It is not expensive, and you can rest easy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:17 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Are you serious that they can do a parts only warranty there after 90 days? Here in the UK you have to have a one year warranty with all electrical goods.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:39 AM   #13

Mark,

I can't remember where on the web I read about the 90 day/labor and 1 yr for parts warranty for the FZ28but I know I did see it! I just tried googling for it and found sites that are selling the FZ28 with a one year warranty. I'm not knowledgable about warranties so I'm not sure why there are different warranties for the same product. I noticed some sites said "one year USA warranty".

Sarah,

That's great to know that you've had so much success with the Panasonics! Also, thank you very muchfor the link to theSquare Trade site. I will check that out.
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:38 PM   #14

I just spoke with a local camera store that carries the FZ28. According to them the warranty on that camerais a 1 year. That's good news!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:30 PM   #15

Hi Mary Rose-

I am glad to hear that we now have proper clarification of the Pansonic full 1 year guarantee. I tend to favor the FZ-28 due to it excellent low light shooting capability. I do a lot of low light shooting. So, in the final analysis, your camera choice may dictate the SX-10.

For me the FZ-28 is perfect. However, everybody's needs are different.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:56 PM   #16

Great photo, Sarah!

You could very well be right about the Canon. I'm searching for a camera for my stepdaughter. I'll present her with the choices that I feel are the best and she'll probably purchase something entirely different!!

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:35 PM   #17

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mary Rose-

I am glad to hear that we now have proper clarification of the Pansonic full 1 year guarantee. I tend to favor the FZ-28 due to it excellent low light shooting capability. I do a lot of low light shooting. So, in the final analysis, your camera choice may dictate the SX-10.

For me the FZ-28 is perfect. However, everybody's needs are different.

Sarah Joyce
Great shots Sarah, i used to own the Fuji S100fs and really enjoyed it (great camera) and regret selling it, now i am thinking of buying another one or the FZ-28, now i don't know which way to go lol
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:55 PM   #18

Hercules-

The Panasonic FZ-28 for sure will be much, much smaller in size. I do a lot of low light level shoot, and have found the FZ-28 to be great, with excellent image quality at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:50 PM   #19
Super Moderator

As has been mentioned a few times before full images reduced to web size can't tell anything. I'm not disputing that the FZ28 does a great job but there is no way of telling how good the image results are.

Here is a sample at ISO 800 taken with the SX1, I'm really sorry about the model though as I'm the only one here so had to photograph myself. One thing I like about the SX1 is the remote so after flipping the screen around so it is facing me I can then zoom in and out to get the framing I want and take the shot.

This will give an idea of what to expect in regard to noise handling and sharpness. I've done nothing apart form in the first bring down to web size and the 2nd and 3rdare 100% crops so individual pixel detail is shown so you can tell the quality (good or bad) of the camera.

Please ignore the model, just think you are all lucky you don't have to see this every time you look in the mirror LOL :lol::?

Exif is included

I will go back to what I said previous the FZ28 lens is better suited for low light, I just want to make a point about discussing camera quality, we need to give more than a web sized full photo.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:51 PM   #20

Hey Mark-

That is crooked pool! the Canon SX-1 may be a fine camera but it is not available here in the USA. Fo those that know what I am talking about. Canon decided to release a brand new and rather interesting camera , the Canon SX-1.

However, as fine as that Canon SX-1 might be (that a very handsome photo of you Mark!), it is not yet available in the USA. It has a larger CMOS imager installed in the camera, that we Yankees here in the USA, know as the Canon SX-10.

So, now Mark, I know why you are jumping in on all the Canon SX-10 versus Panasonic FZ-28 camera threads. Yep, the SX-1 is a much better camera than the CX-10. But in the meantime, for those of us who have to make our living taking photos, the Pansonic FZ-28 is the best low light level shooting alternative camera.

I am impressed and truly wish that I could purchase a nice Canon SX-1, but I can't so we will probbily never settle this contest until I get back from my next contract. I head out Friday 01/09 on a six month long contract teaching digital cameras and yes, a few DSLR's too to passengers on cruise ships.

Let me tell you, folks, it is really tough duty, but then somebody has to do it. Right? So if you suddenly see me gone in the next two day, you will know why.

Sarah Joyce