Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:54 PM   #1

I'm debating between these two cameras. I'm mostly concernedwith image quality. I've viewed the user photos posted on amazon.com and it seems like the FZ28's color is better than the SX10. One reviewer of the SX10 wondered why no one was talking abouthow thecolorsare washed out on the SX10. I noticed the same thing. I have the SD700 and have purchased the S3 and the A720 for relatives and have always been extremely impressed withCanon's color. I'm hesitant after viewing the Canon photos and am leaning towards the FZ28.

I would greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who has had experience with both of these cameras. Thanks so much!
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:16 PM   #2

MaryRose

Yes, your observation about the colors produced by the Canon SX-10 IS has been echoed by a number of other folks. There are some excellent sample photos from the SX-10 IS on the internet. However, they might have been "photo shopped" to increase the saturation and to improve the color. We have no way of knowing for sure.

I went to my local"big box" store and tried both the SX-10 IS and the Panasonic FZ-28, using my own data cards. I took the photos home and checked them out on my computer. After looking at them closely, I purchased the FZ-28 due to color and the camera features.

For example, here is one of those SX-10 IS sample photos that looks so good.

EDIT: The SX-10 IS photo was deleted at the Moderator's specific request

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:35 PM   #3

MaryRose-

Here is a sample photo from my FZ-28 so that you can see photos from both cameras. by the way, this phot was taken without flash at ISO 800.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2008, 5:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

If you are looking at photos by the manufacturers then yes they are likely to shoot in the best environments to make a good looking shot.

If you take a look here there are comparison shots from the two cameras you are looking at http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa..._results.shtmlwhich I think you will find helpful. There are parts of both camera I like and if I was in the market I know I would find it a tough one, but also know that whichever I go for I will be happy.

Sarah, if that is not one of your photos from the SX10 can you please remove it so that there is no copyright infringement?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 5:42 PM   #5

Hi Mark-

Deleted as you requested.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 29, 2008, 5:44 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Thanks. I should have said please feel free to put a link to the photo, there is no copyright issue in doing so.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:30 AM   #7

For a test with big (100%) samplephotosby the SX10, try:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_canon_powershot_sx10_is_3.php

...and be sure to check the Sample Images on page 3 for purple fringing / chromatic aberration. Specially picture: 4 (stairs leading up to bridge and far bridge-towers), 10 (branches in top left corner), 14 (shoes, face and right hand of woman), 20 (white window-frames) with both green-and-magenta on either side of the upright white posts of the window-frames.

Really not my cup of tea. That's why I ended up with the FZ28 - and I am not looking back! Panasonic seems to have this aberration-problem well under control.

Added, on second thought:

If you want to see what IQ can be produced with the FZ28 take a look in these two treads, in the Panasonic-forum, both by member rontth, who, no doubt, is a great photographer.

check out # 7 in: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=949958

and pictures taken on his trip to China: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...=23&page=3

Alas - the test-photos of the SX10 and the once from rontth cannot be compared as such, taken under very different circumstances, but it will give you some idea.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:01 PM   #8

I appreciate your comments, Walter-

It was only natural and expected that any of us who are interested in ultrazooms would look both at the reviews and sample images from both the Canon SX-10 IS and the Panasonic FZ-28. You and I both did that comparison. In the final analysis, we chose the FZ-28.

At least for me, the FZ-28 has proven to be an excellent choice for the kind of photos that I do. However, I always urge anyone considering both the SX-10 IS and the FZ-28 to do some research for themselves to see the difference.

Enjoy your FZ-28, Walter, it is an excellent camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:16 PM   #9

Sarah Joyce, looking good. :G

JessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:02 PM   #10

Thanks very much, Sarah and Walter for all your info and the links. I can certainly see why you picked the FZ28 over the SX10! That CR is unreal! Combine that with washed out colors and ...hmm....seems like it's a no-brainer!

A salesman in a camera store warned me about the warranty on the FZ28. I see it only has a 90 day warranty for labor and 1 year for parts. Did that concern anyone? On the other hand I've known 4 people (myself included)who have purchased various models of Canon's only to have the first one be defective. (The second cameras after exchanging the defective oneswere fine.) If Panasonic has a good QA the warranty might not be as big an issue.

Thanks again,

Mary
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote