Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1

I am seeking a recommendation for a camera(s) that takes photos faster than my current point and shoot. I curently have a Fuji F series camera. It takes good photos. The problem I have is that I need a camera that takes faster shots and has a faster recovery time. I try to take photos of my kids and they move before the piciture is shot.

Can this be resolved with a point and shoot or do I need to get a more professional camera?

Thanks for the help.

BBROOCKS
bbroocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:58 PM   #2

BBrooks-

The fastest point and shoot camera of 2008, was the Sony W-300 camera. It is very fast and it rivals the DSLR cameras according to Steve' s professional review of the W-300. However, it is an ultra compact camera with only3X optical zoom.

My husband and raised 8 children. They are all adults now and have families of their own. When it comes to children's photos there are sort of two strategies. (1) stand back 12 to 18 feet, and just let the children set the pace, let them be natural, and they will gradually become oblivious of you, as you arein thedistance. Then using a good ultrazoom camera with an excellent flash, shoot your photos. (2) Be right up there with them within close range and let them become relaxed with the camera you are holding. Putiing them at ease is necessary to avoid having them do silly poses and the like.

I always used strategy #1. That way they were absorbed in what they were doing after a bit, and the scene became relaxed and natural. However, whatever strategy you choose, a lot of the technique will depend on their ages.

I liked the "stand back a ways and shoot" approach because I was not entirely dependent on the speed of the camera, and I seemed to get more natural photos.

You could go with a DSLR camera like the Canon XS (also known as the EOS 1000) and a good flash, like the medium priced Canon EX-430,and that would give you excellent response time, but at some cost. The choice of the lens depends on the children's ages and which strategy you choose. An outfit like that, if you used the Canon 28-135mm IS lens would run around $(US) 900.00 to 1,000.00.

You could, using the "stand back a ways and shoot" technique, get by with a camera as simple as the Sony H-10, which cost around $(US) 200.00. By using flash you are assured of good lighting and the ability to stop action.

Here is a photo sample I took with an ultrazoom (the H-10) of some of the grandchildren interacting with my husband. I was probably 15 or 16 feet away.

Happy New Year!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:28 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah. Your post is very helpful.
bbroocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 7:46 PM   #4

bbroocks-

Another DSLR kit possibility would be the Olympus E-410 or E-420 two lens kit. At around $(US) 600.00, itis a bargain package, as you get the Zuiko 14-42mm lens as well as the Zuiko 40-150mm lens. That will allow you to cover 28mm to 300mm. All you would have to add is a TTL flash like the Olympus FL-36. Total cost less than $(US) 800.00.

January 2nd EDIT: B&H today posted an E-410 two lens kit at $399. All you would have to do is to add the FL-36 flash and for $600 total, you're set! There is very little difference between the E-410 and the current E-420 models.

Here is a photo that I took of my husband with the E-420 and the FL-36 flash.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote