Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:29 AM   #11
Super Moderator

It's very true, now aperture is going to have much more of an effect on the look of a shoot rather than mainly affecting shutter speed.

With a fast lens(like the 50mm f1.8), you have the ability to throw the background out of focus. I'm on my work laptop so don't have many shots to choose from but this is taken at 150mm and f2.8 and as you can see the background is lost so there is not distraction from the subject.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:34 AM   #12

ok i knowthat the mm is the distance but what are the f numbers? Like f1?

Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:47 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Here are a linkthat will help you out.

http://www.great-landscape-photograp.../aperture.html

I've attached a photo I took a long time ago to show how aperture affects the depth of field.

If you are using a wide aperture (small f number) then this will reduce how much is in focus in front and behind the shot. If you have a narrow aperture (large f number) this will increase how much is in focus either side.

Now there are other things that affect depth of field such as lens length and the distance the subject is from the lens but this is going to give you a good start.

I've attached a photo I did years ago of a dusty keyboard at a wide and narrow aperture.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:07 AM   #14

Tamron also has a couple of tools you might find useful:

Depth of field comparison tool

... and ...

Focal Length Comparison Tool
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:16 AM   #15

Thanks guys. Those links help.

Can you tell me the major benifits of the DSLR over the P&S? I know there are many but just wondering the major upgrades. I just want to compare the benefits to the bigger cost differnce.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:58 AM   #16

First, obviously, is that you can change lenses. This allows you to use a lens specifically designed to shoot what you want to shoot the way you want to shoot it. And some of those lenses have much larger apertures than the lenses on P&S digicams, which allow you to shoot in lower light and/or faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISO settings.

Second, dSLRs have larger image sensors. This has several benefits.
  • Larger image sensors give less depth of field, allowing you to blur unwanted foreground and/or backround elements.[/*]
  • Larger image sensors give lower pixel densities, allowing the use of higher ISO settings with less noise, so you can use faster shutter speedsor smaller apertures.
[/*]
Third, dSLRs also provide much greater creative control over the image than is available with a P&S digicam (beyond just the ability to change lenses, anduse larger apertures and higher ISO settings.)

Fourth, dSLRs are easier to connect to more types of equipment, like microscopes and telescopes.

Fifth, dSLRs have a greater selection of accessories that facilitate photography, like filters, right angle viewers, and battery packs.

These are just off the top of my head, and I'm certain that others will be able to contribute more reasons.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:36 PM   #17

Netman-

In all due repect, have you taken the time to read the thread within this folder entitled, "Thinking of Purchasing a DSLR camera" there is a lot of excellent information contained there that could provide answers to your many questions.

I hope you read that thread. I sincerely think that it might be a "big assist" to you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:45 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Netman-

In all due repect, have you taken the time to read the thread within this folder entitled, "Thinking of Purchasing a DSLR camera" there is a lot of excellent information contained there that could provide answers to your many questions.

I hope you read that thread. I sincerely think that it might be a "big assist" to you.

Sarah Joyce
Actually no I didnt. I somehow didnt see that. I will find this thread and read it over.

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:00 PM   #19

Netman-

Yes, please do that! you will be amazed at what you can learn in this wonderful Forum.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote