Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1

I am looking to upgraded my P&S camera. I have a Fuji F31FD. I am looking at a couple of the kits out there. I was looking at the Nikon D60 or the Canon Xsi. While looking at some prices of the Xsi I found that the Canon XS kit is $476 where the XSi kit is $642. Both kits comes with the same lens and the difference I could find is the MP and the screen size. I am sure there are some there are some others differences that I didnt see for that kind of price difference.

Is the XSi worth the price difference over the XS?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

What are you looking at shooting? The extra MP of the XSi can help but both are going to give great results. The XSi has a faster continuous shooting rate which if you are shooting sports will help.

Some scenarios will be assisted by the better camera and some by putting money towards better lenses so when we know more I'm sure you will get some good advice.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:54 PM   #3

Primarily used for family pictures. I have 3 young kids. They are 6,4, and 1. The sports are starting. I would say that I have a few years before the sports start getting really competative.

I would say one of the biggest complaints from my wife about the current P&S is the pics inside in low light or under floresents.

We dont really print any pics out or crop them. If we do print they are typically 4x6.

I also fount that when buying the XS kit I can get the Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III Lens with $150 instant rebate.
Digital Rebel XS Silver w/ 18-55 & 75-300 III Lenses & $150 Instant Savings

$510 shipped

This Kit Includes
  1. Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS w/ EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens (Silver)Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III Lens canon warranty
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:29 PM   #4

The XSi would be a better choice for sports/action/wildlife. I suspect that adequately describes three small children. It has a better autofocus system than the XS, or any other entry level dSLR for that matter.

Canon also has a $100 rebate on the 55-250 IS lens (a very good choice) when you buy it with the XSi. That will give you two stabilized lenses and a very good camera body. (The 75-300 that is part of the XS kit isn't stabilized.)

For indoor/low light shots, you could use a faster lens (a lens with a larger aperture) or a better flash. Canon has a 50mm f/1.8 lens for $85 that would work well for low light shooting, but it's not stabilized. Canon also has some very good flashes that you could use indoors with the kit 18-55 IS lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:53 PM   #5
Super Moderator

One thing to add, the 75-300 is a very weak lens and I wouldn't even consider giving it space anywhere near my kit bag.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 6:26 PM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
The XSi would be a better choice for sports/action/wildlife. I suspect that adequately describes three small children. It has a better autofocus system than the XS, or any other entry level dSLR for that matter.

Canon also has a $100 rebate on the 55-250 IS lens (a very good choice) when you buy it with the XSi. That will give you two stabilized lenses and a very good camera body. (The 75-300 that is part of the XS kit isn't stabilized.)

For indoor/low light shots, you could use a faster lens (a lens with a larger aperture) or a better flash. Canon has a 50mm f/1.8 lens for $85 that would work well for low light shooting, but it's not stabilized. Canon also has some very good flashes that you could use indoors with the kit 18-55 IS lens.
So would you say go with the XSi body and use this lens? Could I use it as a general lens to replace he one in the kit?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:30 PM   #7

Netman wrote:
Quote:
So would you say go with the XSi body and use this lens? Could I use it as a general lens to replace he one in the kit?
No. The kit lens is good for family pictures, groups, travel, etc., and indoors with an external flash. The 50mm f/1.8 would be for small groups at a distance, adult portraits and children's environmental portraits, indoors using available light. It would not be a substitute for the kit lens.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:27 PM   #8

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Netman wrote:
Quote:
No. The kit lens is good for family pictures, groups, travel, etc., and indoors with an external flash. The 50mm f/1.8 would be for small groups at a distance, adult portraits and children's environmental portraits, indoors using available light. It would not be a substitute for the kit lens.
I guess i dont understand the difference then.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:29 AM   #9

Netman wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
I guess i dont understand the difference then.
The 50mm lens is a fixed focal length, or 'prime',lens; you can not adjust the angle of view. The 18-55mm lens is a zoom lens; you can adjust the angle of view to accomodate a variety of subjects.

The 50mm lens has a large aperture, which lets in more light, so less light is needed for a proper exposure. The 18-55mm lens has a much smaller aperture, especially at the longer end of the zoom range, so it needs more light for a proper exposure. The 50mm lens can take photos in much less light than the 18-55mm lens, so it doesn't necessarily need the supplimental light from a flash, but it's fixed angle of view means that it is not appropriate for some types of subjects.

Does that help?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:21 AM   #10

Yes. I think i have a lot more reading to do. With P&S I never paid any attention to aperature. I need to get a better understanding of the specs of the different lenses.