Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:11 PM   #11

Suraush,

Have you looked at the "user photos" for the SX10 on amazon.com? I, too, am debating betweenthe SX10 and the FZ28for mystepdaughterand am greatly concerned about the color quality of the SX10. I prefer to look at typical consumer photos when judging the image quality as that what the user of this camera will be - a point-and-shooter. The colors ofthe SX10look very washed out and dull to me. In comparison check out the user photos of the S3 on amazon.com. What a difference. Then check out the user photos of the FZ28. In my book, based solely on the color, the Panny wins hands down.

Also, if shutter lag is a concern for you be wary of the SX110. I've read way too many reviewsthat saythe shutter lag between flash shots on this cameraisvery bad.

Good luck!
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:35 PM   #12

On second thought....I just looked againat the user review photos on amazonfor the SX10 and the color seemed a lot better than I'd remembered. I've probably been reading way too many reviews and looking at too many photos!

But do be aware of the shutter lag on the SX110.

Mary
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:48 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I have to disagree about the colour on the SX10, from the samples on flickr then the SX10 looks to do nicely as does the FZ28.

It's worth looking at the camera labs review of the FZ28 which has comparison shots of the SX10 next to each other in the same situation so you are getting real results in real conditions.

FZ28 review with comparison shots of both options. http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa..._results.shtml

SX10 review http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca...e_images.shtml

On the 2nd one I've taken you straight to the photo sample page, you can find the same page on the FZ28 too to have a look at if you go to the tab at the top.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:19 AM   #14

Mark,

Yes - you are quite right about the color on the SX10. (I did post a second note saying I'd changed my mind after taking another look at the amazon.com photos - that the color looked much better than I'd originally thought.)

Thanks so much for posting the links to the samples photos! It's very kind of you to do that and makes it so easy for people to compare.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:34 AM   #15
Super Moderator

MaryRose wrote:
Quote:
Mark,

Yes - you are quite right about the color on the SX10. (I did post a second note saying I'd changed my mind after taking another look at the amazon.com photos - that the color looked much better than I'd originally thought.)

Thanks so much for posting the links to the samples photos! It's very kind of you to do that and makes it so easy for people to compare.
Oops, I missed that as I was looking for the needed links when you posted the extra info. Oh well.

You would be happy with either option I'm sure.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:15 PM   #16

Thanks guys for all the info.

Well, I am finding the higher end cameras not-worth the extra-bucks. The cost of the FZ28 has gone up drastically andthe not-so-special featuresof theS5 and SX10 simply don't justify their super-high cost!

I am now debating between the Canon SX 110 IS and the Canon A 720 IS. The latter has only a 6x optical zoom as compared to the 12x of the former, but is supposed to produce much better IQ. The latter is not so fancy looking either,but that hardly matters.Also, should I be consideringthe Canon A 2000 IS as well? If anyone can guide me please!
Suraush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:03 PM   #17

Neither the Canon SX-110 nor the Canon S-5, if you can find one, nor the Canon A-720, which is now impossible to find will meet your requirements fully. You can do what ever you like, that is your choice. However, I will bet you that only the Canon SX-10 Is or the Panasonic FZ-28 will be able to meet your specific requirements

Reducing your already set requirements, rarely meets with much sucess! And I have been around here for a long, long time. Just look at the number of posts I have made in this forum.

If you want help, we are indeed here to help. However, we and you do have to remain realistic.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:26 AM   #18

Best Buy currently has the Fuji S2000hd on sale for $204.99. It's an ultrazoom, similar in appearance to the Panasonic FZ28, though probably not as good. But it's not a bad camera either and is a great buy for $204.99.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:40 AM   #19

Andy-

I too like Fuji cameras. However, until there is a professional review of a particular camera, or I have had a chance to shoot with that camera myself, I won't, personally recommend it to anyone.

Now, admitedly, I have had a very busy three weeks at home, preparing a new training syllabus, but I have not seen a review of the Fuji S-2000 yet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:03 PM   #20

Here are some professional reviews of the Fuji S2000hd.
http://www.photoreview.com.au/Fujifi...x-s2000hd.aspx
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ix_s2000hd.php
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...Pix-S2000HD/p1

I've played around with it in the store and it seems pretty sweet.

I'm sure the Panasonic FZ28 is a better camera but for someone who's looking for an ultrazoom and doesn't want to spend up to $300, the S2000hd, at $204.99, is not a bad alternative.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote