Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:21 PM   #21

Many thanks, Andy-

I really appreciate the links. That really sounds like a good alternative at just over $(US)200.00. Great work! Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:52 PM   #22

I believe any of the bridge cameras will do a decent job if you learn how to use them properly. Sarah has a lot of experience with different makes and models and has a pretty good idea of what has decent potential. From my observation of pictures posted, I won't speak for video since I buy a camera to take pictures not video, but I would say from a lens standpoint pany may have the edge. I also like the canon and if you don't need the big big zoom 18+ then some of the older models mentioned here will do great. But a bridge camera is not in my opinion an auto shooting camera it's a great learning tool for those going to a dslr or someone who likes not having multiple lenses and heavy camera bodies to carry around. I have the olympus
SP 560 and no one seems to give it kudos for anything but I like the way it's built solid and once you learn how to use it it does just fine. Buy any of these type cameras you will need to learn how to use manual controls. If you shoot a lot in low light listen to Sarah because most of the bridge cameras with small sensors do not do well above 200 ISO including mine. IQ will only be pro quality with a dslr but you can achieve excellent quality with a good bridge camera. Here's a shot from the 560 at full zoom 486mm 100 ISO, in 10 degree weather and cropped a little. Not dslr quality but for a camera no one ever talks about it does ok.

Eric
Attached Images

esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 12:18 AM   #23

Hey Sarah,

You definitely seem to be a lot into cameras and it's evident from the number of your posts! However, I am almost a novice, I can just appreciate good looking pictures!

I have been reading a lot of Steve's reviews off late. What's the difference between the Digic II and Digic III processor? I haveobserved that there haven't been any major updates between the Canon S2 IS, S3 IS and S5 IS except in terms of mega pixels. And I am not looking to get poster prints anyway! :lol:

:arrow:Below is a gallery of a few images taken from the S2 IS at Amazon and they look impressive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0009GZSSO/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all

I was considering a used S2 IS for now and later uprading to an entry level dSLR like the Canon EOS Rebel. What do you suggest? Is it a better option than going in for the Canon SX 110 IS? :?

Attached Images

Suraush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:57 PM   #24

To be honest, before I even start looking at different cameras, I ask myself *one* thing.

Does it have an optical viewfinder?
If yes, I"ll put the camera under consideration
If no, it's off my list.

I always have to laugh when I see people holding their camera's out at arms length, squinting to see the LCD in the sun.

Joe Fisher
Kalispell, MT

Suraush wrote:
Quote:
Happy new year people! I have no newresolutions, but I am trying to select from one of the following: :angry:

Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:29 AM   #25

esharri,

I can't over how good that picture looks of that bird. I noticed the 560 has been replaced by the 565UZ. If the 560 got bad reviews, I don't know if I can really trust reviews because that picture looks so good.

Did you modifiy that picture with photoshop or anything to make it look that good?

The replacement model is 565 is actually about $80.00 cheaper than the 560. This makes me wonder if the 565 will not be as good as the 560? Since I can't really go by reviews I hate to be left guessing.

dman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:14 AM   #26

Dman,

Sometimes the reviews are right on and other times they are biased towards a certain make, just like politics : )

First off yes I did use photoshop but not a lot, I usually hit auto color in case the camera is off a little and sometimes I will hit smart sharpen or auto levels but overall you have to take a good shot to get good results no matter whether you use photoshop or not. From another forum I would say the SP 570 is the better of the two in IQ but still it's learning to use the one you have to the best of it's abilities.I don't know much about the 565. If you aren't willing to put in the time to properlyuse the manual controls on a bridge camera then you should probably get a real point and shoot and let the camera decide. People always cut down certain cameras when the reality is they didn't take the time to learn how to use it. I have no bias towards the pany , canon, fuji, or kodaks, they also make good cameras but I had a 765 oly so I wanted something where I was already used to the menu. The key is get one with a good lens and practice practice practice
esharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:49 PM   #27

Suraush,

You mentioned the Canon A720IS. (I didn't know it was still available anywhere!) I purchased this camera one year ago for a relative. I was very impressed with the camera EXCEPT - the lag time between flash shots is really, really slow. About 5 seconds. I believe this is because it only has 2 AA batteries. (I've also read that the lag time with the Canon SX110 is very slow, too. It only has 2 AA batteries as well.)

If lag time would be an annoyance for you then please beware!!!
MaryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:15 PM   #28

Mary,

Yeh you are right about that. I finally bought the Canon S5 IS. It suits my purpose very well and it uses 4 AA cells. I read many user reviews including Cnet's and Steve's, and I think I have made the right choice (after weeks of confusion!). I got a refurbished one (with Canon's warranty) at almost the same cost of a new SX110, so I think it made sense going in for a much superior camera. Well, as I said before, the Panasonic FZ28 was a worthy contender, but I like the IQ of the S5 better in terms of color and vividness and yeh, I am pro-Canon!

Regards.

Thanks Sarah, James, Mark and others. (You'll probably hear a lot from me now, as I appraise my S5!)
Suraush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:17 PM   #29
Super Moderator

Suraush wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Sarah, James, Mark and others. (You'll probably hear a lot from me now, as I appraise my S5!)
You are welcome and I'm sure I can speak for all when I say we look forward to seeing some photos and hearing more from you.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Enjoy your new camera!!:|
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote