Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:26 PM   #1

I have a Panasonic something or other that takes great pictures, but is kind of big. I also don't think I am using all the features to their full ability...I'm really just using the easy mode.

I would like a camera that is easy to use, will fit in my purse or diaper bag, take pictures of my fast baby, and I'd really like it to have color accent (I think this is what it's called...where you take a picture in black and white and pick a color to show up in color). I would like something that will take pictures that I could blow up to at least an 8X10 with good quality as well. What are your suggestions?

Thanks!!
ktlynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2

"Color accent" is a feature in Canon cameras. Canon's small cameras that have it are the SD1100is, SD770is, SD790is, SD880is and SD990is.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:51 PM   #3

Okay, I've decided that color accent is not the smartest reason to buy a camera...

Now, any recommendations on an easy to use camera to take pictures of a quick baby, that can be thrown into my purse or diaper bag?

Also, one of the problems I have with the panosonic (and I'm sure it is user error) is that any movement in the picture makes the picture blurry.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 4:17 PM   #4

You're right about the color thing. Now you need to determine why your existing camera makes blurry photos, so you can buy a better one, right? Warning - it may not be the camera...

Blurry photos are caused by either movement of the camera during the shot and/or movement of the subject during the shot. A faster shutter speed can reduce the blur...to a point.

Why don't you post one of your blurry pics here, so we can take a look at it - and maybe determine what's wrong?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:35 PM   #5

It is usually blurry when I try to take a picture without the flash on. It will seem to be plenty of light for the picture, but it is almost always blurry this way...especially if there is any movement. My camera is Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7. I have no idea how to use it other than using the easy mode... I need a class.

I LOVE taking pictures and having pictures, but I just need it to be really simple or I need someone to show me how to do it. I am so illiterate on this, that I tried to upload a picture on here, it was too big, and I can't figure out how to shrink it...so, no picture. :?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:02 PM   #6

Sometimes, what seems like plenty of light to your eyes is near darkness for a camera. Unfortunately, your camera isn't a real good performer in low light, since it was only capable of ISO 400 at full resolution. One thing you can do, is to use flash when taking pics inside...and keeping your ISO down to 200 or less. A class would definitely help in many cases.

In order to 'shrink' a picture (re-size is the preferred term) you need a program...

http://www.irfanview.com/

Click on the link and download and install the program on your computer - do not fear - it's free, and spam free. It's good for resizing pics and doing some simple editing, like redeye removal, sharpening, color correction, etc.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:09 PM   #7

I'm looking at cameras for my Mom and am looking at the Nikon S210.

Similarities between what I'm looking for and what you mention is that the S210 is supposed to be very easy to use because it has so little functionality, there's not much to chose from. There's no manual controls, but there are plenty of scene modes to choose from.

I've seen some people complain about it around the internet, but Steve's Digicams has a glowing review of the image quality that comes out of it.

And, it's really small like you say you want.
levander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:19 PM   #8

levander is very correct-

If you want a mostly fully automatic P&S camera the Nikon S-210 is not a bad choice. It is currently selling for around $(US) 120.00. The built-in flash on the S-210 is not particularly strong, making the flash range limited to about 8 feet. Also indoor photos done with flash were cool (blue toned) in color.

Here is what Steve had to say in his review of the Nikon S-210 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote