Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1

My husband bought me a Nikon Coolpix 210 for Christmas, but I was disappointed with shutter speed and picture quality. I am looking for a point and shoot camera that I can take with me vs. always lugging my Nikon D80 with me to crowded places or places where I need both hands, ie-ice skating. I have looked at the following canon models: A590, SD880, Sx110, and A2000. I am so confused at this point that I am hoping someone can help me out. I would like a camera that has great picture quality, quick shutter response time, and would prefer the most zoom possible. I have a budget of $200-$300. I have read all of Steve's reviews but am just more confused than when I started. Thank you for all of your help.

Stephanie
micmse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:08 AM   #2

Kodak Z1012 with 10MP, 12x optical zoom and negligible shutter lag may fit your needs. It is currently retailing at about $230.

Size-wide, the Z1012 is much smaller than your D80 but is not as compact as your Coolpix 210.

Check out Steve's review on this.
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:19 AM   #3

The top ultrazoom IMO is the Panasonic FZ-28, followed by the Sony H-50, and the Kodak Z-1012.

Sarah Jotce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:02 PM   #4

Don't know if they're available in the US, but here in the UK I bought my daughter, for Christmas, a Rollei XS10inTouch, of which I'm very jealous. It's tiny breast-pocket size, 10Mpix, only 3x zoom, but the lens is excellent. Its menus are far easier to use than any compact I've seen during this purchasing process, because it's a touch sensitive 3-inch LCD screen. There's even a facility whereby you can tap the subject on the screen with your finger to focus on it and take the shot instantly!

I gave it a thorough workout (just so I could teach her, honest), before handing it over.

Specimen shot of daughter, daydreaming, attached. ( I have a Kodak Z1012 myself, which is excellent & great value, IMO.)

Make - ROLLEI
Model - RCP X-10
ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
FNumber - 3.10
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
Flash - Flash fired, auto mode
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 36 mm

Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:51 PM   #5

Hi Alan-

Unfortunately the Rollei camera that you have is NOT sold in the USA.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote