Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:39 PM   #11

A hearty welcome to our very first poster, Matt2009-

It nice to have you here, Matt2009. Thanks for both visiting and posting. Yes, the fern photo was taken handheld. and it does fine credit to the resolving power of that Carl Zeiss mounted on both the Sony H-3 and H-10.

You are very correct! When you push into the manually set ISO 1600 region you are really pushing a camera to perform. There are many point and shoot cameras, particularly those in the ultra compact category, than can hardly even capture any photo at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 is well beyong their capability.

The train station photo is posted to show that the H-3/H-10 can get into the manually set ISO 1600 region and give you a pretty fair photo. It was taken using the Advanced Sports Shooting mode which pushes the ISO enough to get you a shutter speed that can stop some action.

Here is another tip: The Sony H-3/H-10 can also do rather amazing things in the The Advanced Sports Shooting Mode that can be found on the camera's Mode Selector. That is the mode that I use when nothing else will work. It is like a small miracle worker.

Congratulations to you and your wife on your soon to arrive first baby! My husband and I raised 8 children. They are all grown up now with their own families. I sincerely think that the Sony H-3 or H-10 can record upcoming those family memories very nicely for you.

The attached photo, taken using the Advanced Sports Shooting Mode,was taken during a staff briefing meeting for the 2008 World Cruise. I had the Cruise Director's (the person in the photo) permission to take photos as long as I used no flash and was very discrete. The room was darkened as there was a video presentation that was an important element of the meeting. Enjoy your new camera!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:41 PM   #12

Since Sarah helped convince me to pic up an H-10, I thought I'd share a pic that was taken with everything set on automatic mode. My wife took it as soon as she got the camera out of the box and the battery and memory card in so we don't have a lot of practice with the setup yet!

I think the flash is a bit overwhelming. I'm assuming there's a way to step it down a little. Or I just need to back up and zoom in a little.

Attached Images

matt2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:49 PM   #13

Here's one I was able to get without the flash. Considering it's a little darker in the room I was suprised.

Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:22 PM   #14

Sarah,

When you say flash compensation (on the backlighting picture) do you mean manually setting the flash down or is this an automatic feature you can turn on or off?)

When I turned the dial to the Advanced Sports Shooting mode it was really dark. And I had no idea how to make it brighter (didn't see anything in the settings). Wonder what I am doing wrong here...

Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:56 PM   #15

OK Matt2009-

Let's take this one step at a time.

The photo of the dog (a golden lab?) looks very good. Notice how sharp it is! What mode did you use on the camera to take this photo?

Yes, when you go to the Advanced Sports Mode the LCD will indeed be rather/very dark. That is to be expected. None the less, like the example that I posted this afternoon, you sometimes can get a rather good photo out of the Advanced Sports Mode.

Flash Compensation is a menu item. There are times when you either want to include any existing light in the photo scene environment. In that case you would use Slow Flash or sometimes it is called second curtin flash. If you want to reduce the flash output, that is when you use the Flash Compensation adjustment, found on the main Photo Menu.

I will check back later, but to be perfectly truthful I am now packing for myself and my husband for a 6 months long trip and that has to deserve some priority. After all that is how we make the money that supports us. You have made me feel a lot of stress right now and that does not feel good to me at all!

Matt2009 I am sure that you got all the documentation with the Sony H-3/H-10 camera. All I ask now is that you respect our space as we are now packing for a very important trip 6 months long trip. It is really not reasonable nor is it realistic for me to man this computer all night long so that I can be a personal tutor for you. I will be back on line for a short time tomorrow morning and I will be happy to help you then.

However, Matt2009, I have a very severely disabled husband and I have to now complete our packing so we can leave on a 6 months long contract tomorrow morning. I hope and pray that you will clearly understand that. Your last post did not real provide enough information. Iin your next post please give me more information, so that I can more effectively provide you with effective help. More info, Matt2009, please!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:10 PM   #16

Hi Matt2009,

I am not Sarah. But I think I know what Sarah means when she talked about flash compensation for a backlighting picture.

For instance, if someone stands in front of a church to take a picture of him/her with the church in the background. If it also happens that the sun is shining from behind that person into the lens of the camera. This is a backlighting picture. The camera sensor will be tricked by the sunlight and considers the scene is a brightly lited scene. The end result is a pitcure with the person's face in the dark and poorly recognizable. The remedy is simply to turn on the flash when taking the picture. The camera flash helps to bringhten up the face of the person. This is what Sarah means flash compensation, I think.

In your case, what you need is to lower the strength of the flash of your camera so that lighting is not too harsh (too bright) on your dog. I am not familiar with your camera and hence can only make a general comment about how to do it.

In certain cameras, you will see two rows of icons/numbers on the top and bottom of the LCD screen. One of these icons/numbers (usaully the one with a light-blub icon)would be the field for you to raise or lower the strength of the flash. All you need to do is to navigate the cursor (use UP, DOWN, LEFT or RIGHT button) to this icon/number. Press the SELECT/OK button. Then press to UP and DOWN buttons to raise or lower the flash strength. Press the SELECT/OK to confirm. That is all. In fact, it is more easier doing it than reading my description here.

Good luck!
dancheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:59 AM   #17

Thanks all. I did find out how to lower the flash manually and it worked well. I was merely wondering if the flash compensation was something automatic and in the menus, which Sarah has clarified.

The dog was taken with the program auto mode, experimenting with several of the settings. I'm not sure specifically what it was set on as I had just gotten the camera but I will be playing with it lots more.

Have a good trip Sarah.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:45 AM   #18

Good Morning, Matt2009-

Here I am as promised. The horror of packing is completed and I have a good portion of my sanity back again.

I see that you found the flash compensation menu, so we can tick that off the list. The Advanced Sporting Mode is on the Mode Selector on top of the camera. It looks like you are doing pretty well with the Sony H-10.

Congratulations! And be sure to post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce