Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:39 AM   #1

Hi i was recently looking for a good camera to buy, and i narrowed down to these two:

Canon Ixus 85 / Canon SD770

Canon Ixus 80 / Canon SD1100

But then I started reading stuff about a Lens Error, or E18. So I started looking for another brand, and Sony is my only other option. And I found these:

Sony W170

Sony W150

They are all about the same price, just a few quid up and down. If E18 has been resolved, ill go Canon, but if not, well...I don't want to waste money on my first camera. And Sony's are pretty good too, I hear.

If I am missing another camera that is good for me, around the £140 price range, please tell me.

Requirements:

8+ MP

Ultra Compact Body

Sony or Canon

Good Picture Quality

Good Reviews

And not 13.6 MP, no more than maybe 11, unless it got a big sensor.

Thanks

Vamos

vamos124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:00 AM   #2

vamos-

Please understand that we here in the Forum at not UK residents, nor are we very conversant with camera prices in the UK. We know rather exactly what camera orices here in the USA are.

The dreaded Canon E-18 error still pops up now and then. However, it is far less frequent, down probablyto less than1% of Canon's P&S cameras.Two to three years ago is was fairly common, but it probably never affected greater than 8 to 10% of the P&S cameras. Both the Canon and Sony cameras you are considering are very good cameras. So any of them would serve you well.

Well we have an idea of your budget and the desired camera size. How much zoom are you looking for? Do you want a 28mm wideangle? That also plays into the mix.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3

I dont NEED a good zoom but wouldn't mind one, because most of my pics will be of family n stuff and mostly zoom isn't that clear. I still don't understand what wideangle lens are. If you don't know the uk prices, you can give them in $. You can recommend prices that are similarly priced to the SD 770/SD1100/W170/W150 and then i can look on amazon.co.uk.

Thanks

Vamos

PS: Why don't much people reply?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:03 AM   #4

vamos-

I have to tell you that any quality camera will produce very sharp photos when zoomed. The reason not many people answer in this particular folder is that to give the proper answer to someone asking a question, you have to have a fairly wide camera background. I am a professional digital camera instructor for example.

If you want to see some cameras with very good zoom, drop by your local photo fealer and take a look at the Kodak Z-1012 or a Sony H-10 camera. Both are in your price range and are sold in the UK.

However, if zoom is of no interest to you the Sony W-170 is an excellent camera to consider, but it does have 5X of optical zoom. Perhaps you will choose not to zoom.By selecting a Sony brand camera you are free of the E-18 threat.

Sarah Joyce

Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
PS: Why don't much people reply?
'Cuze there isn't a lot to talk about here. Sarah hasjustcovered the bases. And the cameras you have already identified are dominate for this camera size and price bracket. With the possible exception of the new Nikon S560. And that is a very sketchy possibility as there are hardly any reviews of that one yet. Both under and over this price bracket the cameraselection would not be so clear cut. Giving us a meatier bone to chew on.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:52 PM   #6

The Sony H-10 is too big, nearly as big as an SLR, i need something ultra compact and stylish. And I hate Kodaks.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:31 PM   #7

Vamos-

You actually looked at apparently the Sony H-50, not the H-10. Here is a photo showing the H-10 with a standard CD for size reference. If that is too big, you can just stay with the Sony W-170.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:41 PM   #8

Just Checked and its about £210 here in UK.

Thanks, I am going to wait until i find a bargain for W170