Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:26 AM   #1

Hi folks. I currently have a Canon Ixus 860is which I think is a great little camera. However, I'd like to start experimenting a bit more and find the camera very limiting. I like the 28mm wide angle lens and the form factor of the camera. I'm not too fussy about zoom, but I guess it can be handy. Most of my pictures are taken indoors at the moment. Which cameras should I be looking at? In an ideal world, I guess I'd have the same camera, but with more manual control.
waynehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:09 AM   #2

wayne,

If liking the form factor of the camera means you want to stay with an ultra-compact size, I don't think you will find a significant upgrade in features or performance.

If you don't mind going a bit larger, you might consider the Canon G10. The G10 will give you full manual functions, more resolution, a wider zoom range, a wider shutter speed range, RAW capability, a view finder, lens threads, and a hot shoe. Down side would be cost, size and weight.

Another option would be to move to a superzoom, like the Fuji S100fs, which has tons of options and features, but is even larger and more expensive than the G10.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. The G10 looks ideal for my needs, its just a little over my budget.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:13 PM   #4

Might help if you let us know what your budget is, and any other limitations you might have.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:43 PM   #5

waynehayes wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks. I currently have a Canon Ixus 860is which I think is a great little camera. However, I'd like to start experimenting a bit more and find the camera very limiting. I like the 28mm wide angle lens and the form factor of the camera. I'm not too fussy about zoom, but I guess it can be handy. Most of my pictures are taken indoors at the moment. Which cameras should I be looking at? In an ideal world, I guess I'd have the same camera, but with more manual control.
Manual controls are great to have. I wouldn't purchase a camera without them. Some small cameras with manual controls are the Canon Ixus 980is (SD990is), Sony W300, Panasonic FX150, Panasonic FX500, Nikon S710 and the Samsung SL310w. The Panasonic LZ8 and LZ10 and the Canon A590is are a bit larger and also have manual controls.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:29 PM   #6

Some great suggestions there, thanks. Decisions decisions...